Can an iterative pre-commit review be used even after post-commit?

Tien-Tien Hsieh August 31, 2016

Currently, for large code quantity of code changes, we are doing pre-commit reviews.  However, there is no guaranty that the final patch that was reviewed is the code that is checked into the repository.   Can an iterative pre-commit review become a post commit review?  Or will another review have to be opened after the code is committed?  If not, is there a way to link a pre and post commit review so the entire review/code change process is documented?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
aborowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2016

To link your review with another, open Edit Details dialog and go to "Linked Review" field.

image2016-9-1 8:8:59.png

Tien-Tien Hsieh September 1, 2016

Thank you for your answer.  This seems to be the best option as with out JIRA, it doesn't look like a review can be opened as a pre commit and continue to be reviewed after post commit (without having to open up another review).  My issue is that many times, the last patch I reviewed, will include tweaks I did not approve before being checked in.  

Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 1, 2016

Let me ask you a question: why do you use pre-commit reviews? From description of your problem I have an impression that you should rather try to setup a branch workflow process in your team, i.e. to develop feature on a branch, perform review on a branch and next merge changes to master/trunk. This way you'll be able to easily spot non-approved commits. 

Tien-Tien Hsieh September 2, 2016

Yes, you are correct regarding review branch. Unfortunately we didn't start out working on a review branch and our teams offshore created the the pre commit reviews (there are many)  already.  If the functionality in Crucible was available to track a pre commit review through post commit, then I was going to take advantage of it.  We will start the review branch development next load. 

Thank you!

1 vote
Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 31, 2016

is there a way to link a pre and post commit review so the entire review/code change process is documented?

You can link a review to a JIRA issue. Also many reviews can point to the same issue. In JIRA, on the issue view page, in the "Development" panel you will see a link to related reviews.

Tien-Tien Hsieh August 31, 2016

We only purchased Crucible and Fisheye.  Besides, using JIRA, are there currently other ways? Thank you for your response.

Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
August 31, 2016

It depends on your needs, actually. For instance, you can add a global comment to a review and put a key(s) of the related review(s) in it. You can also use the "Activity" tab to see if all comments have a review(s) associated with it. You can also use the Release Report plugin to check content between two arbitrary changesets.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events