Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to import SVN history without increasing user accounts

Jeff Richard July 15, 2013

We are in the process of switching to the Atlassian suite of products. Our SVN repositories are 13 years old. We have about 6-7 permanant developers on the team. So we purchased the "starter" version.

My issue is going back to the history, it keeps compaining about going over my license, because over the past 13 years, we have had developers that no longer work on this project or not even for the company anymore. How do i prevent these old users from increasing my user limit for my license?

Thanks,

Jeff

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
rstephens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2013

Hi Jeff,

This has been looked at in the past and we believe the limitations on starter licenses are appropriate. One workaround you could implement is to strip the old commits from the previous developers out of your SVN repository. See this stackoverflow answer for one method to do this.

Kind Regards,

Richard Stephens

Hm. Well that is no good, because then I lose the old versions. That is how I noticed this... I was doing a code review, and i noticed that fisheye/crucible identified that the ENTIRE file was a "new commit" and thus the entire file was "new" or "changed". I knew that was wrong, and did a SVN diff, and saw the 3 lines that were changed. I researched the seetings that might have caused this, and I determined that I didn't check the "follow base moves" check box. So i did that, and now it is getting the license error.

Is there any way I can get the previous commits, so that code reviews don't render the entire file (that was changed) as a new file? And still stay within my license (since i do not have more than 10 users).

Jeff

As a side question, is there anyway to see the users that they are counting? When I click the users link in the admin area, I only have 7 listed.

Jeff

rstephens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2013

Hi Jeff,

Unfortunately the starter license counts committers (to a specific repository) as well as users. You can view the comitters that Fisheye has identified for a repository by looking at the Users tab shown while browsing that repository.

-Richard

Hi Richard,

Ok, well, I understand your answer, but don't like it much. :) I kinda feel taken for a ride. We evaluated your suite of products (jira, confluence, fisheye, crucible, bamboo) for 90 days, trying to figuire out if it matches our company, what license we need, etc. And now you are saying I have to go to my company for $800 more (than the almost $4000 we already spent), because this *&#%! software looks back for all time and counts every commiter that has ever committed. I think at a minimum, you need to update your documentation on your website to be more helpful. It does say 10 committers, but doesn't say 10 committers for all time! I thought I was good with this version since I only have 7 committers.

Also, when I go to the users tab for that project it says "There are no registered users or active committers in rCMS" (rCMS is the project).

I have a couple of follow up questions. My issue now is that even if I buy the 25 user commercial license... my fear is that in a few months, I could outgrow it too. Even if my entire company was only 10 employees, I could still go over your 25 user license if over the past 13 years I've had more than 25 committters to my solution. That is not hard to do, just by having some high turnover. Don't you guys have a lot of complaints about this? How do people stay with you (with this product), because it seems like an ever growing thing... I will be constantly going back to my company for more money to purchase more licesnes becase we just hired/fired someone. Doesn't make sense to me.

Also, if I upgrade to the 25 user commercial license (which I think is the next level up), does that affect cruicble too? Or can I keep the starter version of it?

Jeff

rstephens
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2013

Hi Jeff,

The committer limit is specific to the starter license. The user limit for the commercial license is just a user limit - there is no committer limit.

The license for Crucible is independant to your starter license for Fisheye, but keep in mind that the starter license for Crucible only provides 5 users.

Kind Regards,

Richard Stephens

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events