What should I do with a suspicious email purportedly sent by an Atlassian employee?

David FALLAS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2019

I have recently received the following email with a PDF attachment (which I have not opened).

I thought you should know because the sender obviously knows some details of Atlassian products licensed to our company and I wonder how they have obtained those details.

Dear Rae,

Pleasant day to you.

My name is Eddie AtlassianLoyalty Advocate.

I have been assigned to assist you to renew your  Bamboo Software License for 25 Users support Expired 25 March 2019.

Kindly confirm if you are still using the said license and if you are looking to renew licenses support.

I also noticed that you have other licenses that expires different dates.

May I suggest for you to consolidate them and have one end date for all.

One end date will make it easy for you to monitor when to renew licenses.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you.

--

Warm Regards,

ED JONES (EDDIE)  

Loyalty Advocate, Asia Pacific

1. +63-2-755-7731
  2. +63-995-584-4682
  3. ecauilan@atlassian.com

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2019

There are a LOT of dodgy looking things in that email, I think you're absolutely right to mistrust it.  My instincts go:

• All the contact I've had with Atlassian, from MCB answering a support call <mumble> years ago through to last Thursday's Community board, via email, uses real, honest names the people want to be known by.  Atlassians do not insert "AtlassianLoyalty Advocate" into their name.  We do see job titles, but it's always secondary to their real name.  You'll never see "Jane Atlassian Community Wrangler Smith" from an Atlassian, it will be "Jane Smith (Atlassian Community Wrangler)" at worst.  Most of them never bother with the title though!
  • You then get "Ed Jones" (EDDIE) - nope
  • Phone numbers in the Philippines - most of the time these are innocent, if you're trying to contact people or organisations based there.  Atlassian are not, so, um... no.
  • The main one for me though is "Ed/Eddie Jones" has an email of ecauilan - no no no no no.  If you are known as Ed Jones, your email will contain "e" and "jones".  Where the hell does Caulian come from?  Linked-in reports no-one with anything resembling that name working for Atlassian.

TLDR: It's malicious.  Chuck it in the spam bin.

David FALLAS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2019

Thanks for the response - very helpful to have my suspicions confirmed. It's already been trashed, but I thought the community should know in case there is a bit of a scam campaign starting.

As I didn't open the PDF I don't know what was in it, but malware would not surprise me.

1 vote
EddieJones
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2019

Hi David,

I received an email from one of our engineers concerning an email that I sent you recently about your Bamboo Software support that expired 25 March 2019.

My apologies that it kind of stressed you out due to confusing name and email address. My complete name is Ed Jones Fortunato S. Cauilan (pretty long - believe me I had a tough time writing that when I started school). Most of the customers would have a tough time addressing me.

And most of them would address me differently such as Ed, Jones, Fort, Cauilan, or Eddie so to avoid the naming challenge I adopted the name Eddie after all my family and friends would call me Eddie.

I can't blame you to feel threatened due numerous scams flying around trying to trick us to obtain our precious data and steal whatever precious information they can cash on.

But rest assured that I'm from atlassian and I sent you that email to simply check if you are still using Bamboo and if you wish to renew license support. In addition I was suggesting that you may want to consolidate your licenses and have one end date to make license and support renewal easy for you.

The PDF attached is a renewal quote.

If you have any questions you may reply in this thread or maybe in the email if I have gained your confidence.

Thank you.

Warm Regards,

Ed/Eddie

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events