Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scrum educators?

Peter Parry December 21, 2020

I'm wondering if anyone teaching software development at a college or university has ever used Agile/Scrum to actually deliver lessons? What might it look like? One tutor being the Scrum Master, another tutor being the Product Owner, a group of students as the Development Team. First Sprint, "Hello World".

I have access to MS Teams, Github, BitBucket, etc. and 10 students aged 17 with good maths and English. They have 12 weeks to learn Python 3 and be ready for work experience. 

Does this idea have legs? 

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sudarshan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2020

Hello @Peter Parry  Welcome,
First, thank you for getting this idea to the young minds.

Irrespective of the idea works out or not, I am sure as a teacher you will help them become open minded, thinking individuals.!

Your idea is exceptionally good, and it can work.!

Infact many Scrum certifications programs are taught as a sprint (2 or 3 -day workshop)

This would be my teaching plan:
Course timeline: 12 weeks
Considering six sprints (2 weeks each)

every sprint can have a - 1 week class, 1 day for a hackathon (problem solving session), backlog refinement activity (1 hour per week), sprint review meet (the hackathon problem is demonstrated to the class.

Your backlog would contain broadly items related to - Installation and setup, python tutorials, devops, coding standards, cyber security basics, etc...

If you search online, i have seen courses run like this, if the ten students are available on the sale place (not online) then a scrum can work out even more effectively.!
(remote learning also works) 

Peter Parry December 21, 2020

Thanks!

Hopefully we will all be in the same place by September :) Excellent ideas on timings and sprints. The curriculum is given to us by the exam board already, we can't change it, but it looks like it can be delivered in an 'Agile' way.

Do you have any idea of what kind of 'product' we can deliver to a fictional client in Python? It's not my first language (I have to learn it too first!), and I'm learning Agile too.

My students will be school leavers who might have some knowledge of coding in python, or maybe just Scratch, but unlikely to have html/css/javascript. 

Stay safe, 

Peter. 

Sudarshan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2020

Hi,
To begin with as a teacher first tell the students what some of the frequent problem are which can be solved.
Python has numerous applications in the daily software world.

some of the school students in India (age 17 to 18) use https://docs.python.org/3/library/tkinter.html

try regular application like room booking, hostel booking, attendance manager (anything which has a login, table, some transactions involved), there are loads of examples you can get in the world or a small Game 

give them a story which has a problem, and they can solve it.
(I would suggest let them take 1 month for product development, you can be the scrum master helping them out with their needs and observing the system they work in)

I am sure this is going to be fun.!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events