Roadmaps feature indicates multiple projects in the board query despite there being only one

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2021

This is a JIRA CLOUD issue:

I had one of my team members ask me to help them try out the Roadmaps feature - so we went into the board settings and found that the feature is enabled - but there is a message saying that it only works for queries with one project in them. 
That's fine - the query does only have one project (this is the query).

Project = EB AND component = Data_Guild ORDER BY Rank ASC

This query returns the expected tickets, but the error message from Roadmaps still indicates the board has more than one project. 
When you go into the board settings and look in the summary tab, the "project on this boards" section indicates only one project as well...

Anyone else experiencing this?    I've tried duplicating the board, changing to a different project, removing the component, and the error remains.

EDIT - very briefly I managed to get it to work (created a new board, manually made the query in SIMPLE view)..then I added a component to the board query and it completely broke, now will not work again even if I go back to the simplest query.  I think this is a real bug with Roadmaps.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2021

Solved it with some Atlassian help.

If you're having the same problem, the location of the board may be the problem. You must move the board to the same project the filter is using - so in my case the query is looking at problem EB, so the board must also be IN the EB project for the roadmap feature to work.

Location matters.

Paul Taylor December 13, 2021

@Chris Buzon i am having the same issue but I think that there is more at work here, possibly a JIRA bug.

Here is sequence of steps i went through

Roadmaps was on and working but no epics were showing up. I thought I may have excluded this in the board filter. Sure enough i had filtered epics. So i modified the board query.

At that point I got the multiple projects message. So I went to check the query and the feature was still toggled to on, but the message was present.

I then checked the query and it was wrong, it had the project key in it but was still resolving. I then went back into the roadmaps view and the toggle was off and greyed out. Now I can't get it to switch back on even though I know that the board is within the project ( as we only have one project in our cloud JIRA right now ).

Also, after that I thought about the query permissions and it says:-

Permissions

This filter is visible to:

Project: Business Systems and Integration

Any thoughts ?

Original query:     project = "BSI" AND issuetype in ("Data layer only", "Data layer then report") ORDER BY Rank ASC

Current query :    Project = "Business Systems & Integration" AND issuetype = EPIC OR issuetype in ("Data layer only", "Data layer then report") ORDER BY cf[10059] DESC

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 13, 2021

I would re-write that original query and put Epic into the brackets too.  What you have there is essentially two queries (because of the OR - they are 2 completely different sets of results)  which will return far more results that you're probably looking for. Basically, the 2nd part is going to return every issue in data later and data layer plus report, regardless of anything else you might want, like status or assignee, etc.

Something like...

Project = "Business Systems & Integration" AND issuetype in (Epic, "Data layer only", "Data layer then report") order by cf...

(I also might check on whether that cf field is worth ordering by. It could be, but only certain types of fields work that way.

Another method I use it using the basic JQL interface to build the query, and only move into the addon/gadgets when I get exactly the results I want in a regular query screen.

Like Paul Taylor likes this
Paul Taylor December 14, 2021

@Chris Buzon thanks a lot for this, of course you are correct not a well written query at all. I was too focused on solving the problem with the toggle function being disabled and not on the query -  I rewrote it as you suggested and magically I was able to turn on the roadmaps function again.  I'm not sure why it would make a difference since all the epics and stories are in the same project ( as we only have one ) .. but it worked

0 votes
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2021

<deleted>

Suggest an answer