Re-open ticket in jira cloud

Himanshu Shekhar November 17, 2020

I want to setup re-open ticket in jira cloud like when i close or resolve the ticket the customer will get a reopen link in mail .If the user click on re-open link the ticket then only ticket should re-open .Please help here if possible .

1 answer

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2020

Is this Jira Core/Software (issue), or do you mean a Jira Service Desk Request?

In Jira service desk 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2020

So, first, you need to enable the function in the requests - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/How-to-allow-customer-close-reopen-issue/qaq-p/67487 has a set of good screenshots on that and some troubleshooting when people get stuck.

The second part of it I am less sure about.  You can edit outgoing email content for Service Desk/Management, but I'm not 100% sure you'll be able to do it with a link - you'd need to generate a link to the specific request so that the user's browser opens on the right page and tries to click "reopen" for them.  With the consequent problem that they may not be logged in.

However, you can automate it a bit - if you switch slightly to looking at email replies (and put in text like "please reply to this if you need to reopen" to tell people you can do it, then you can set up simple automations to catch comments and do stuff like:

Screenshot 2018-03-08 16.58.12.png

Hi Nic 

Thanks for your response .i already knew that simple automation step to reopen this ticket but i need setup for reopen link when i close or resolve the ticket .

And let me tell you the reason behind this .Right now when i resolve any ticket then user get email notification and most of time user reply - Thank you or similar kind of response and due to this comment ticket gets reopen .That's why i need to setup re-open link in resolution email instead of direct comment .

Please suggest here .

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2020

That does not make sense - you want to reopen an issue when you close or resolve it?

If you really do mean that, then the thing to do is edit your workflow such that you have transitions called "close" and "resolve" that go back to one of the open status.  This will not make any sense to your users though.

I very strongly feel that I do not understand what you are really asking for here.  Could you explain again?  Without saying "I want closing an issue to reopen it" (that's the bit I am clearly not understanding)

Anna Shelby November 18, 2020

Hey Nic,

I am working with Himanshu on this issue in our environment. I think the ask here is that we know there is a legacy automation that will reopen the ticket, but then you run into this issue when people respond back to the resolved ticket email with a "Thank you" which in turn reopens the ticket. We've tried setting up the legacy automation if it includes "thanks" "thank you" "thank you so much" etc. that it would either transition back to resolve, done, closed, OR even set up a webhook like in the linked example instructions below, but they don't work - they keep getting moved into "in progress"

Himanshu was thinking that maybe we could put a link in the resolved ticket email response that would allow users to click that instead which then they could comment there for needing to re-open the ticket, but I read some more documentation in the community today that makes it sound like turning off email comments & email notifications are married to each other and you can't do one without the other, so that complicates things a bit. 

I've looked at a few resources in the community and none of them seem to be able to accomplish this. I've tried this option, but it just keeps moving "thank you" and "thanks" responses into the "in-progress" status, I made sure that the issue screen has a "re-open" transition between Resolved and In-Progress -  https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/How-to-deal-with-short-customer-responses-after-closing-a-ticket/td-p/1382536

Other threads - 

1. https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/Allowing-customer-to-reopen-an-issue-from-Closed-or-Resolved/qaq-p/1024316

2. https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/Making-tickets-re-open-when-a-customer-replies-just-doesn-t-work/qaq-p/743198 (this will reopen all tickets even if someone is just saying "thanks"). 

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 5.45.04 PM.png

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events