Possible to manually add existing JIRA tickets/filter?

Cassie Sheng October 14, 2021

Hi Supporter,

I want to add in some existing JIRA tickets per single key ID or per JIRA filters.

Q1: when click 'Add task' button, seems I can't find one proper option to manually add in an existing JIRA ticket or JIRA filter. Any alternative?

Q2: Instead of manual approach, I tried to add JIRA filter from Scope Definition ->Automatic rules, while the constraints are:

- Although we have different ticket filter within one JIRA project, when auto added one or more JIRA filter, all the tickets are mixed listed per JIRA project, can be resolved?

- I can't specify the filter to be added under which basic task.

Please kindly comment what's the best way to fulfill my need.

Thanks,
Cassie

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2021

Add to where?  I can't quite work out what you're trying to add to what.

Are you trying to create new issues?  Or sub-tasks in an issue?  Or do you mean you're trying to include certain issues in filters?

Cassie Sheng October 16, 2021

Hi Nic,

Yes, I'm trying to manually include certain issues in filters as subtasks for some basic tasks, but can't find such way.

Thanks,
Cassie

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2021

Ok, to include an arbitrary issue in a filter, you can use an or to include it by key.

Imagine you've got something like

Project = ABC and issuetype = Bug

You can say

( Project = ABC and issuetype = Bug ) or key = DEF-123 or key = ABC-155

DEF-123 is obviously from another project, and ABC-155 doesn't need to be a bug, they'll both appear in the results.

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the response, but that's about how to create a filter to include specified jira tickets. Yet my problem is I already created few jira filters (with jira tickets included), and I want to add them as subtasks for some basic tasks. 

Ex: I first add few basic tasks into big picture, then I want to add specific jira ticket/filter under those basic tasks. 

Cassie

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 16, 2021

Ok, but that was what you asked for when you clarified.

I still do not understand what you are asking to do here?

I need more explanation about what you just said, probably sentence by sentence:

>> Yet my problem is I already created few jira filters (with jira tickets included),

I understand that, you've got some filters that are working

>> and I want to add them as subtasks for some basic tasks. 

Filters are not sub-tasks, they're searches for issues, not issues themselves.  I do not understand what you want to do with the filter from that sentence.

>>I first add few basic tasks into big picture, then I want to

Ok, that's also clear

>> add specific jira ticket/filter under those basic tasks. 

As earlier, filters are not issues, so there's no "add filter under task".  You can create sub-task issues under the tasks though, but that process has nothing to do with filtering

I see. Sorry for confusion, "add filter" actually meant add jira tickets in specific filters. The point is when try to add task/sub task, we can either create a new task or import from other files, but can't add existing jira tickets, right? Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 16, 2021

Thanks for trying, but I do not think I am understanding it.

You say "add jira issues in specific filters".  To do that, you will need to do one of two things:

• add clauses to the the filter so that it includes the issues you want (this is where I've suggested adding "or key = DEF-123 - that clause pulls in a specific issue)
  • make the issues you want to add match the filter.  If, for example, your filter is "colour = indigo", then to "add issues to my filter", you need to edit them, making the custom field "colour" be "indigo"

I am less clear on the next bit, where you say "try to add task/sub-task... create or import... can't add issues..." - again, I cannot work out what you are trying to add them to.  If it's a set of filter results, see above.  If it's a project, just add the issues.  If it's a board, have a look at the filter for the board and create/import/edit issues such that they match the board selection filter.

I'm using the program box. 

1. I've created several jira filters to contain development ticket contents for different milestones.

2. In big picture program, I added few basic tasks for milestone tracking. One is called 'Alpha2 release'.

3. Now I want to manually import existing jira tickets (as sorted in 'Alpha2 release filter' in step1) as its Dev subtasks. But the only way I see is to add the filter into scope definition->automatic rules.

- No button to import existing jira tickets, but only to create new tickets.

- automatic rules would have some constraints as I described in initial question.

}[$$PA$6YNBJZKQYQK0MA%1.pngLSNJIL}T(NRWO)HP14V_6RW.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2021

Ok, so you'll need to adjust the filters so that they include the new issues you are creating or wanting to add.

Cassie Sheng February 16, 2024

hierarchy between basic task and existing JIRA tickets has to be handled manually, while hierarchy between JIRA tickets can be imported automatically, like to use 'is parent of', 'subtask' etc relationship.

Screenshot 2024-02-17 121504.png

Suggest an answer