Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an official community slack workspace?

Jose Arroyo September 1, 2022

Title. 

2 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

2 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2022

Hi @Jose Arroyo 

Welcome to the Community!

Do you mean a Slack where you can go and ask questions or chat directly?

Not that I know of - the Community itself is where questions, discussions, etc can happen :)

Ste

Jose Arroyo September 1, 2022

Thank you so much for the prompt reply @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ ! 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2022

Yes and no.

Short answer:

• There is a Slack workspace that is "official", but it is for Community leaders and Atlassians, not the entire Community.
  • No.  A more open one can't work.

Long answer:

The last numbers I remember seeing for Community were that there were 4 million distinct accounts logging in every quarter.   Chat is not the right place for a group that large, especially when it's unformed, open, and doesn't have hundreds of moderators available. 

If you doubt that, go look at the "general" channels in a Slack you use a lot.  Do you have the time to read it all?  Bearing in mind you probably only have 400 people there, not 4,000,000.

Also, I'd ask you to think about it from my point of view (which is, I think, similar to that of other Community leads and Atlassians).  If I were to join a Slack workspace with 4m others, I'm going to get drowned with people contacting or mentioning me constantly.  I can cope with the 20-30 unsolicited mentions a month in the Community (folks, there is a reason I have not tried to answer your question already), but 20,000 is not going to work.

The best place to ask questions, start discussions and share is here in the Community.  Slack is a fantastic way to connect, but not in this context.  Fora are better for a Community.  And, of course, there's no reason why a forum post can't lead to "hey, come join something that's focussed on something you might be interested in".

I mentioned the community leader's slack at the beginning.  People post in Community, they have stuff we can't do much about, but we say "let's get this to Atlassian".  That is a Slack message in the leader's workspace.  We even have a dedicated room for "Atlassian, could you look at this?"

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events