Indicate vendor relationship by posting person's vendor relationship

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2020

Hi community!

I often see community members posting a question, and then responses swarm from marketplace vendors advocating for their tool solving the issue. It is sometimes unclear from the response if:

• The responder has used the product to solve this problem (versus other solutions), or
  • That they have a relationship with the vendor.

What do you think about a change to the community guidelines: community members who are employees of marketplace vendors must include the company name in their profile name?

As an alternative, a marketplace vendor badge could display by their posts.

Best regards,

Bill

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sven Schatter _Lively Apps_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 7, 2020

Hi @Bill Sheboy,

What do you think about a change to the community guidelines: community members who are employees of marketplace vendors must include the company name in their profile name?

I think that's a good idea! I think most vendors probably do this already anyway and they should also have a Marketplace Vendor badge:

temp.png

I also think it would be nice if the vendor badge was displayed next to the user name on posts as you said. And for vendors that are also Community Leaders it would be good if both titles were displayed. :)

Cheers,
Sven

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2020

Hi @Sven Schatter _Lively Apps_ 

Thanks for the prototype!

0 votes
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2020

Hi @Bill Sheboy,

The Community has done a good job of outlining a number of the points you've raised in the article: Atlassian Community online guidelines for Marketplace vendors and Solution Partners

Now, that being said these are guidelines and there isn't any tool-assisted enforcement of this.  If you see anyone violating those guidelines feel free to report it for further investigation to the Community team.

I hope that helps!

FYI @Monique vdB - Not sure if you'd like to follow up on this or add anything else.  Thanks!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 7, 2020

Thanks @Jimmy Seddon!

@Bill Sheboy this is correct, all vendors should be following the guidelines, which require them to identify themselves as vendors! Take a look and let me know if you have any feedback on those guidelines. And @Sven Schatter _Lively Apps_ thanks for the lozenge feedback as well :) 

Like # people like this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2020

Thank you; I have read those guidelines when I considered this issue in the past.  My idea was to ask about raising visibility and reducing confusion of community members for suggested solution sources.

I just saw an example today:

• Two different vendors (who did indeed say they were vendors),
  • Had multiple employees of their companies repeatedly and alternately recommending their solutions.

Their products are probably great, and both could solve the issue.  But, as a regular Jira user, I would have needed to hover my cursor over their names to see who they worked for.  More transparency is what I was asking about.

Thanks again for the information and the discussion!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 7, 2020

@Bill Sheboy I see! So the lozenge (like my community manager label) would potentially be useful for that. I appreciate the insight!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events