How do I create past completed sprints in Jira?

Heather Cardew January 9, 2023

I am transitioning from managing sprints in excel to using Jira and would like to visualise my completed sprints and upcoming sprints in Jira. (Rather than only display upcoming sprints in Jira.)

For example I have an epic that has been running since October 2022 with some stories completed in October and some upcoming in February and I would like to visualise this on a roadmap.

Thank you in advance!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2023

Hi @Heather Cardew

Welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, this is not a simple task that you can complete.  This is how I would do it:

1. First Create the Epics in Jira
  2. Then bulk import all the stories and associate them with the previous corresponding epics. Import in jira: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-import-stories-linked-to-epics-in-jira/qaq-p/373117
  3. Create the sprints you completed with the dates they ran and a clear name. (I'm not sure if you can create them in the past) and assign the stories to the sprints.
  4. Ensure that all the stories are completed.
  5. Close the sprint

Good luck.  

Heather Cardew January 9, 2023

Thank you Fabian!

0 votes
Sharon Braithwaite January 13, 2023

You can also look into Jira Themes/ Initiatives and using Advanced Roadmaps to create a roadmap using Jira. 

Suggest an answer