Did you mean: 

Answering your questions on changes to server and Data Center

Viewing page 3 of 5

101 answers

Suggest an answer

5 votes
Alex Janes October 30, 2020

Earnings call transcript...

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2020/10/30/atlassian-corporation-plc-team-q1-2021-earnings-ca/

And so, our data center product is going to be critical in making sure those customers are supported over the time frame for migration. But we expect that all our customers will migrate to cloud over the medium term. 

How does this make me think you are keeping data center around? This sounds like you know you have larger customers that will take longer to migrate, but still have it in your plans to drop Data Center.

And, how can you honestly believe that all of your customers will move, when you have so many customers here that have explained that they can't move to the cloud? (Unless what I'm actually reading is, if they can't go to the cloud once you drop DC, you'll drop those customers too...)

Atlassian, you really need to reconcile with your customers. You are lying to your investors when you say this in your call; when you have SO MANY CUSTOMERS telling you that, no, they can not and will not go to the cloud.

Tom Shaffer November 3, 2020

(Unless what I'm actually reading is, if they can't go to the cloud once you drop DC, you'll drop those customers too...)

I mean, does it look like they're trying that hard to retain you and me as customers? For that matter, look at the majority of the posts here and on the "Champions" thread - how many legitimate, open questions are there and how often have we been told that we'd be followed up on only to hear crickets?

No respect for the customer.

I truly believe that what I quoted is exactly what they're looking forward to. 'If you don't join us at a premium price, you can beat it. We only want the really big fish now. All you medium-sized ones and below can either pay to be part of the club or get off our books.'

So they might be lying to their investors but I think they're lying to themselves here. They figure if they keep beating that same drum, we'll all become hypnotized to their marketing but it doesn't quite work that way with sysadmins and the like. Seeing right through it, with every single "Atlassian Team" post lately being hypocritical, ignorant, and tone deaf - and sparse.

Like # people like this
5 votes
Thomas Meiboeck October 29, 2020

Hi,

Reflecting on the many entries, my simple question remains: Why ?!

I have extrapolated the costs for the next 3 years and this resulted in some insights.
.) A 500 user license for on premise servers is cheaper than a data center license.
Ok, Data Center has more features, but most of them don't need them, otherwise we would have switched to Data Center.
.) The cloud solution is more expensive than the server product with the same licenses.
Yes, the products are not directly comparable due to the required cloud service, but we don't need them either otherwise we would have switched to the cloud.
We have the necessary storage and processor capacities, the backup and security sets. And the server installation in the LAN is much faster than the cloud solution.
.) With the money for the licenses and maintenance of the DataCenter version, with the products used around $ 90,000 / year (and rising), I could start my own project and have my own solution programmed.
Probably less, but we still don't use all of the features. That will of course never happen, because when I suggest that management throw that much money out of the window for ticketing and documentation, they play hangman with me.

And that will also be the reason why we have to look for an alternative product in the long term.
We are simply not a multi-thousand developer company that could exhaust a +500 user license. Maybe we were never the target group of your product, because we use ticketing very little for software development. However, I fear that you will lose some customers who are not your target group by restricting your product portfolio, and with that you will lose real money.

I understand of course that you have to force your cloud in the cloud hype, but I cannot understand the argument that continuing the server solution is too complex or too expensive. The maintenance contracts are not that cheap either.

I also understand that there are companies for whom the cloud is an ideal solution. Companies that are very mobile across the globe and do not want to afford a central data center, certainly benefit from cloud products.

However, you also have to recognize that not every company is part of the junk food generation and does not go along with every hype just because it is there.

Overall, I do not see an opportunity for many companies by restricting your portfolio, but rather a burden in a variety of ways.
Switching to other products, whether to Atlassian DataCenter, Cloud, or a competitor product, is an unplanned and costly risk.
The people who voted for Atlassian a longer or shorter period of time must now justify this to the management.
The people who work with Atlassian products must be introduced to other, new products.

Sorry I can't find better words, but I don't think you know or care about your customers' needs, nor that you thought your decision through to the end.

Best regards,
Thomas

Dalectric
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2020

Well said. I completely agree with this.

Like Jo Wilkes likes this
Diego Bruno November 13, 2020

Atlassian ->> Atla$$ian ... and no longer cara about their Customers..

Alex Janes November 13, 2020

@Diego Bruno Although I don't necessarily disagree with your statement, I'd appreciate if you could add something more productive than, "Atlassian ->> Atla$$ian ... and no longer cara about their Customers.." to the conversation. That way, Atlassian truly understands why it is we feel this needs to change.

Like # people like this
Diego Bruno November 13, 2020

@Alex Janes , I appreciate your suggestion as it is very respectful.

I'll keep it in mind from here on

Like Alex Janes likes this
5 votes
DJX
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2020

This is not a fruitful discussion and I will be unsubscribing from it. Atlassian believes they know what is best for us and are solely interested in pulling as much money from our pockets as they can.

Even if they were to reverse their decision for now, it would be unwise to think that they would not do this exact same thing at some point in the future. This is the warning shot and any reasonable person should start planning their exit. It is clear that there will be no negotiations and promises cannot be trusted.

Atlassian's true colors have been shown; the bridge has been burned; time for everyone to decide what they are going to do and do it.

5 votes
Winston Holmes October 20, 2020

The cloud will not work at all for our air-gapped SCADA networks. More than tripling our costs to use data center is also not going to happen. We also have Confluence and Jira Software in one Internet-connected network. The Gliffy plugin will more than quadruple in price for use in the cloud. For that cost, we could provide Visio to every technical user.

We do have some use of cloud services at our site. But, in those cases:

1. The cloud service has Fedramp certification.
  2. The provider can do a better job.
  3. It is cheaper to be in the cloud than on-prem.

That does not apply to the Atlassian server products. Our overhead for managing Confluence and Jira is quite low even though we upgrade frequently. I believe we have only opened 2 support cases in 10 years of product usage.

Both the cloud and data center have higher cost and reduced features. WTF? We will be cancelling a purchase of Service Desk due to this uncertainty.

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2020

Hello @Winston Holmes ,

Thanks for the feedback, and I would like to request that you take a look at and drop a comment with some more details about this on the following thread as well as possibly sign up for the champion feedback group noted, as we are using the thread to collect exactly this type of feedback and get more details on the impact to your specific organizational needs, specifically relating to Compliance needs:

Additionally, I wanted to make sure you saw the details about the "Data Center loyalty discounts", that are in place to help offset the price increase of moving to Data Center for existing Server Customers. 

As well as the "Cloud Roadmap" that contains recently shipped and future feature details relating to all things Cloud including Compliance related features planned for deployment, and this page has some details about the upcoming "FedRAMP Tailored" compliance for cloud, currently on track for a 2022 release; as well as a "FedRAMP Moderate" compliance for cloud on track for a 2023 release.

Regards,
Earl

Like Dalectric likes this

@Earl McCutcheon Except these discounts are still a HUGE increase over the server price. As well, you are only giving us a year or two, before jacking the price way up even more on us.

We, as smaller and midsized organizations with only up to 10 users can't afford that jump. And we don't trust your cloud.

You have the feedback. Stop asking us for more. You have 4 pages of customers telling you that this won't work for them on this thread. Another 4 pages of the same on another thread...

You need to give us something better. Or that decrease you see on your maintenance earnings this quarter will not be matched by more cloud earnings the next few quarters, and your stock is gonna drop.

Like # people like this
5 votes
Danny Verkade October 20, 2020

The company I work for has been an Atlassian customer for over 10 years and we love our Atlassian stack. As a company we see the advantages of the Cloud with the high availability, automatic failover, etc. However I want to pick our own Cloud solution and host the Atlassian software at a Cloud provider of my choosing so that I know where my data is stored and which can be accessed by using a custom subdomain of your own top level domain name. 

The best way to address this is to do so with your wallet. That's why I've immediately stopped the auto renew of all our Atlassian licenses, one was due in 4 days. We'll reserve the money for the migration that most likely needs to take place. 

5 votes
Yuriy Lozhkin October 20, 2020

Hi everyone! Has someone already found an alternative to jira / confluence? please advise

Kevin Gardthausen October 20, 2020

I'm currently looking into GitLab CE as it has a wiki and issue tracking.

Like # people like this
derekk19 October 20, 2020

I have replied earlier about my experiences moving from Bitbucket to Gitlab CE. This might be of interest to you, though I don’t use Jira/Confluence - being a home user/hobbyist

Like Taylor Huston likes this
Kevin Gardthausen October 20, 2020

@derekkThanks, I read your post. Its less about the GIT repositories but more of the extra functionality that GitLab offers in conjunction that could potentially replace Jira as an issue tracker.

marth8880 October 20, 2020

Not sure about Confluence but YouTrack sounds like a great alternative to Jira.

Like # people like this
Jo Wilkes November 13, 2020

I would've preferred to stay with Atlassian; but since they force this, here's our list:

Crowd→Hub

JIRA→Youtrack

Confluence→XWiki

Bitbucket→Gitea

Bamboo→TeamCity

Like # people like this
Alex Janes November 13, 2020

I am not familiar with Hub. A quick google game me a pretty generic list of results. Can you be slightly more specific? ;)

Jo Wilkes November 13, 2020

Sorry, I could have thought of that. I don't want to mention other companies here.

But when you look at YouTrack, you'll find Hub in its near vicinity.

kk November 13, 2020

@Jo Wilkes  I suppose you can mention any kind of company here, because it very much looks like Atlassian does not want a certain kind of customer anymore: Those on-premise customers who are not DC with at least 10,000+ seats and not able to switch to cloud either.

Therefore I suppose Atlassian might not object too much to presenting alternatives for those customers (as we are one) here, since having an alternative will at the very least stop those customers from harassing Atlassian (to no avail, as their strategy very much seems pointed towards a completely different direction than "small customers with their own infrastructure"). ;)

Jochen Dümmel November 15, 2020

@Jo Wilkes yep, we currently make some test migrations from Confluence to Xwiki. There's a good article about it in their FAQs.

5 votes
James Thomas October 16, 2020

How will you support users that have export compliance issues like ITAR or anything defined as Controlled Unclassified Information?

kk November 12, 2020

As nearly a month has passed since your question, in a way you got an answer to the question.

Like # people like this
5 votes
Sergey Papurin
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2020
  1. Will you fix all Critical bugs for that date?
  2. Will you open code of Server products for Community or make it Opensource? 
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 16, 2020

Hello Sergey,

These are great questions, we can clarify as follows:

For the question regarding critical bugs;
We’ll continue to provide platform support (i.e. database, browser, Java) and bug fixes on server products between February 2, 2021 and Feb 2, 2022 PT. After that date, we will only provide security bug-fixes for critical vulnerabilities until the end of support date on February 2, 2024 PT.

In regards to releasing our Products via Open Source;
We do not plan to open source the code for our Server products; however, we will continue to provide the full source code for Server software, allowing for in-house customizations and modifications, as we do with an active Server license today.

Respectfully,
Stephen Sifers

Like Angélica Luz likes this
wkennedy October 17, 2020

When will you revoke access to the source?

Like # people like this
wolfgang mexner October 21, 2020

Dear Bryan,

In Atlassians data protection policies it is written "Under the EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Frameworks, we are responsible for the processing of information about you we receive from the EU, the UK, and Switzerland and onward transfers to a third party acting as an agent on our behalf." The US privacy shield is discarded by European Court of Justice. Therefore there is any possibility to store personal data in the US. Therefore it is forbidden for european companies bei law, to use US based services. So how do you think we should migrate to the atlassian cloud? I see any option for that as long as the resources are not hosted in europe.

Like # people like this
Stephan Munz October 21, 2020

> I see any option for that as long as the resources are not hosted in europe.

beside the hosting in europe there must be no access to the data from outside europe. When Atlassian has the ability to access data it is considered to be data processing. It is a common misunderstanding that a data center in europe is sufficient.

Like # people like this
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
October 23, 2020

Hello @wolfgang mexner ,

Good question and the details for Atlassian's Privacy Shield compliance are covered under the  GDPR section of the "Security practices" documentation in the Atlassian Trust center at the following Link:

Noting the following information is located in the subsection titled "Below are several GDPR initiatives for our cloud products:":

And from the certification page the active certification details are:

EU-U.S. PRIVACY SHIELD FRAMEWORK: ACTIVE

Original Certification Date: 5/18/2017
Next Certification Due Date: 5/27/2021
Data Collected: HR, NON-HR

SWISS-U.S. PRIVACY SHIELD FRAMEWORK: ACTIVE

Original Certification Date: 6/28/2018
Next Certification Due Date: 5/27/2021
Data Collected: HR, NON-HR

Is there a specific requirement that is not listed or covered within these documents for the compliance rating that you noticed and we can provide clarification on?

Regards,
Earl

Stephan Munz October 23, 2020

Hi Earl,

please have a look at: https://noyb.eu/en/cjeu

SCCs and BCRs cannot be used when it comes to the US. The CJEU was very clear in his decision. One could have serious doubts regarding Great Britain and Australia since both have excessive surveillance laws as well.

Like # people like this
kk November 12, 2020

@Earl McCutcheon

Any "Shield" certificate with the US has been invalidated by the European Court of Justice. There is no such thing anymore. Why are you nevertheless still citing it?

Like # people like this
5 votes
Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2020

Hey Bryan,

What does this mean for Bamboo given there's no DC option available (we're on DC for Conf/Jira/Crowd/Bitbucket)? As a software company promoting it's tools primarily as software development tools, are you just not going to have a CI/CD solution for on-prem?

CCM

Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2020

I just saw the fine print.

"We plan to make Bamboo Data Center available in the near future. As details emerge, we will notify current Bamboo Server customers and continually update this FAQ. Until further notice, you will still be able to purchase new licenses for Bamboo Server."

Like # people like this
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2020

Thank you for your question!

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2020

Let's wait the DC release

4 votes
Stephen Gentle November 12, 2020

I missed the email about these changes back in October, just noticed it today and what a shock!

It's really sad to hear, this will be the end of the road for us with Atlassian. Just when we were planning to move some of our licenses up a tier too!

As a Government contractor, there is no way our company can switch to Cloud for our source code hosting, issue management, or documentation (currently Jira, Bitbucket and Confluence) due to Government regulations on classification, ITAR, etc. so it's just not an option.

The datacentre tiers are inappropriate for us (we need around 25 or 50 users for the various products) and it sounds like we can have no confidence in even the medium-term availability of that so we probably wouldn't even bother migrating to that.

So we will have no choice but to look for other vendors that offer on-premises options. It's a shame, I've always really liked Jira and Bitbucket and championed it and convinced the company to switch over five or so years ago...

4 votes
Michael Liebelt October 30, 2020

You leave us no choice but to start looking for alternatives. Which is really sad because we have established a really well working ecosystem with JIRA which is not only closely tied to Confluence but also to ARAS and Sage.

Cloud is simply not possible:

• We have critical customer data in JIRA & Confluence and our customers are in the automotive sector. We are explicitely forbidden to have any of this data outside of our network.
  • Your cloud solution is not GDPR compliant, which is also quite a roadblock as we also have personal information in our JIRA tickets.
  • Our JIRA instance is only available inside of our network, there is no external access possible at all, even if e.g. a bug is discovered that allows total access to the JIRA server.
    This is not possible by design in the cloud.
  • If we would move into the cloud, we would have to open access from the internet to all other software that interfaces with JIRA for retaining the current functionality, creating a huge attack vector on our network.

Datacenter is far to expensive for our 200 users and we do not need the additional features it has.

This also affects a network of universities to whom I successfully recommended JIRA and which are now considering to stop all of this before a transition to a different software gets too costly.
You will definitely lose a lot of customers with this, even if the competition doesn't reach up to your levels.

4 votes
napalm October 26, 2020

Our Jira users are authenticated against Active Directory and if we are to move to Cloud and keep this authentication method, we will have to adapt our infrastructure to support SAML which will certainly be costly, both in time and possibly added services (Azure, Onelogin, etc.)

With that said, will you drop the SSO tax (which is 40%+ of the base license) for clients migrating from Server to the Cloud, at least for the first couple of years?

Stephen Reece October 28, 2020

This is a great question, and I have a hunch the answer is that they realize this and can't wait for us to pay them for SSO.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
November 2, 2020

Hello, napalm and Stephen,

When it comes to Active Directory, in Cloud, we support the integration with Azure AD and other identity providers such as Okta, OneLogin, Google Cloud, Idaptive, AD FS, Auth0:

To use SAML, it will be necessary to subscribe to Atlassian Access, and this product is not included in the loyalty discounts. For more details about what is included, please check our FAQ:

Regarding Atlassian access price, you can refer to the following link that has a calculator and an FAQ:

Does Access support Active Directory? LDAP?

Yes! Atlassian Access supports LDAP and AD FS via a cloud identity provider to leverage both SAML SSO and SCIM user provisioning. All of Atlassian's supported identity providers offer connectors to your on-premise LDAP directory or AD server. Atlassian Access also directly supports SAML SSO with Active Directory using AD FS.

If you have any other questions regarding this matter, please, let us know.

Regards,
Angélica

Like Alex Janes likes this
Stephen Reece November 2, 2020

"To use SAML, it will be necessary to subscribe to Atlassian Access, and this product is not included in the loyalty discounts."

And there it is. I'm not even angry; I'm just disappointed.

Like # people like this
Alex Janes November 2, 2020

@Angélica Luz Thank you for this answer. However, I would like to add my opinion...

Charging a premium for Single Sign On is insane to me. Good security should form the basis of ANY cloud product. You should not be charging to keep your systems secure.

To quote the website https://sso.tax/

I’m a vendor and this doesn’t reflect the value-add of our Enterprise tier!

That’s the point. Decouple your security features from your value-added services. They should be priced separately.

But it costs money to provide SAML support, so we can’t offer it for free!

While I’d like people to really consider it a bare minimum feature for business SaaS, I’m OK with it costing a little extra to cover maintenance costs. If your SSO support is a 10% price hike, you’re not on this list. But these percentage increases are not maintenance costs, they’re revenue generation because you know your customers have no good options.

If someone uses the full Atlassian suite, the pricing could be reasonable. But if you just use Jira Software Cloud Standard, it's a 42% price hike for each user!

That is not reasonable. You do not provide single sign on services to me, Azure AD does. If you were providing me single sign on services that could connect to non-Atlassian apps, via SAML or O-Auth, I can see a premium cost associated with that. But that is NOT what you are providing.

Like # people like this
4 votes
Jörg Sattler October 26, 2020

The new licensing model brings us a tripling of the licensing costs. This is absolutely unacceptable in the middle of the Corona crisis.
Who would think of such a thing? Arguments such as more security and less administration effort are used to talk up a huge price increase.
I am really disappointed in Atlassian. Then I can switch to Sharepoint.

Dalectric
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2020

Yep I'm looking at those kind of increases and more. Their timing is dreadful.

Like # people like this
Alex Janes October 26, 2020

I will say, I really like SharePoint for corporate documentation. Not necessarily IT docs. But when it comes to corporate training and documentation, SharePoint has it's place.

4 votes
Morten Stensgaard October 19, 2020

@Bryan Mayo 

What does this actually mean in details?? - The published statement is really vague when it comes to the whole eco-system of server editions.

See this:Atlassian-server.png

Leaves us back with questions?!

Will customers still be able to buy new licenses for Marketplace addons after february 2021?

And what about renewals of these addons - Will those renewal options still exist after february 2023, where renewals for your server producsts expire or will renewals for addons cease to exist at that time as well?

I know we will have customers that will be asking these kind of questions in the forthcoming days and weeks - Especially hence we are sending out partner-statements to all our customers on this "breaking news"

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 19, 2020

Hey @Morten Stensgaard thanks for the questions. 

If you haven't already, check out the below resources as they address your questions. 

For quick reference, here's a relevant snippet from the above FAQs:
Will customers be able to buy new license for marketplace addons after Feb 2021?
After February 2, 2021 PT, server customers can no longer purchase or request a quote for any of the apps we are including with Data Center as part of these changes. For all other Marketplace apps, existing server customers will be able to continue purchasing apps until February 2, 2023 PT. Ongoing app renewals are expected to be prorated with an end date of February 2, 2024 PT to match your server products’ end of support date.
Hope this is helpful,
Bridget
Steve Kipping October 19, 2020

I can't imagine your app vendors are particularly happy about this. Surely you should allow the Data Centre apps to be purchased for Server until Feb 2023 to allow them to earn as much revenue as possible.

Like # people like this
David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2020

App vendors can still sell you a license I suspect, just not through the marketplace.

4 votes
Norbert October 18, 2020

I'm supporting some customers of different sizes, needs, requirements and configurations for the whole Toolchain. You're now revoking the right to decide how they wanna run their systems. Some of them have decided to run them w/o connecting to Internet because of their reasons. Also Cloud solution won't fit their needs regarding their requirements because limitation of the cloud solution. I'm still convinced of the possibilies of the Software, but unfortunately this is a complete turnaround away from customers ignoring their needs. 

4 votes
Cortland Bolles October 16, 2020

The pricing tables mention that 'our discounted Academic and Community licenses will be adjusted accordingly'. If groups have charity community licenses with no cost currently, will they continue to be no cost after this coming February for the 3 years until server products end in 2024?

We'll definitely be looking at moving to the cloud community discounted program, but as a non-profit it will take time to move and get funding in place.

Thanks!

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
October 21, 2020

Hello @Cortland Bolles , @Ken Swarner , @tedcowan ,

Y'all had a similar question concerning the Community and Academic licensing.

Currently, the pricing model for Community and Academic licensing is being applied to the cloud offering and detailed further in the following thread and announcement:

However, we are in the process of actively exploring a better offering for non-profits and we will come back to this talking point with an update in the very near future.  In the meantime, feel free to take full advantage of the community server licenses which aren’t going anywhere anytime soon.

Regards,
Earl

3 votes
Adrian Grayson March 24, 2021

This is where our Atlassian journey ends. We used to be vocal advocates of your products, but not anymore.

There are plenty of reasons mentioned above by everyone else why a server edition is still a much-needed tool in this community.

But further, the cloud version is terrible in comparison. I've never seen a product by such a well-established company run so slow. It takes so long to do anything, page load times are horrendous, and it seems full of so many UX quirks (try moving a card; the whole scrum board pops and shakes). Finally, I feel like one of JIRA's biggest selling points was its customizability but on the cloud that pales in comparison to what you could do on server.

We will not be moving with you to the cloud. We'll be migrating off all your products onto an alternative vendor.

3 votes
kk November 12, 2020

We pondered the options for our 2000-user Server setup and found that Data Center is the "cheapest" of them at "only" 215% times our current yearly license costs. Cloud would weigh in at nearly 500%.

As I understood, that the transition from Server to Data Center more or less consists of

1. Dumping some useful, but not "Data Center approved" plugins
  2. Replacing the Server license with the Data Center one

without any functional benefits that would in any way justify the price difference, my questions are:

Is there anything we missed or are we just facing the largest price increase in Atlassian history: Twice the cost for less functionality (due to the plugins we cannot use any longer) or five times on "Cloud" with dramatically less functionality?

Metin Savignano November 12, 2020

Re 1: You should be able to use Server apps on Data Center if they do not have a Data Center version available yet. This might be subject to change in the future though. 

kk November 12, 2020

@Metin SavignanoAccording to the marketplace one cannot even use the server plugin license code in a data center installation. But be that as it may: As Data Center is prone to go in the next years, except for top-tier seat counts maybe, we will most likely have to move on to other solutions anyway.

Quoting from the FAQ:

It will still be possible to install server apps in a Data Center environment [...] if a Data Center approved app is not yet available. However, you will see a warning that the app may not be suitable for a Data Center environment.

kk November 12, 2020

@Metin SavignanoEven if so: DC costs double!

That's correct. I did not disagree with this or any other part of your post.

3 votes
Evgeny Gryaznov November 8, 2020

I hosted personal 10$ version of Jira and Confluence for years with couple of paid plugins for private usage and our small startup (5 members). I am Atlassian certified and know about permissions, so i can distinct my own data and startup data.

Today i tried to test migration to cloud (Free plan). And... SURPRISE! There is NO PERMISSIONS on Free Plan! Use PAY plan, said Atlassioan.

Ok. Let's calculate:

Server: 10$ + 10 + 20$ = 40$*20%tax ~ 50$/year - 5 users

PAID Cloud with permissions:  5*5 (month) * 2 (Jira=Confl) * 12 = 600$*20%tax  = 720$ + Plugins/year

Sorry, but it's INSANE price...

And there is no Russian in Cloud version (not problem for us, but...).

3 votes
mabelisle November 6, 2020

@Bryan Mayo 

You should learn from Gitlab. Six years ago they saw a market in self-managed Git market and now they have 2/3 of it. Some organizations want to keep their data for themselves. Maybe you should think twice about removing your self-managed branch because if you leave room for competition, they will take it.

3 votes
iWantMyServerBack November 3, 2020

You are completely convinced that all relevant customers are moving to the cloud. The Data Center product only seems necessary to give your customers enough time to move.
If this is really the case, it should be no problem to make the server products available to the community and make them open source for this small customer group that could or want not go to the cloud. Is that an idea?

3 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2020

You screwed me with hipchat and now you've screwed me with server. My bread and butter is now gone. 

Even with HipChat, I kind of understood why. Realtime communication services work alot better in the cloud. I was able to get over that, because it was one product that just made so much more sense in the cloud. And, I knew of open source alternatives that basically matched the functionality.

HipChat was not typically used to store sensitive data. Maybe to communicate about it, and occasionally transfer it, but not the main storage area. So, as long as I enforced linking in my organization, instead of actual file sharing, it was acceptable to move real time communications to the cloud.

But this isn't do-able. I can't store the actual data in the cloud. And I can't afford data center.

So, management and myself have decided to wait a year, and hopefully have either a non-profit option of datacenter, or move to another product. We already have decided what that product will be. But we are hoping Atlassian gets a bit smarter and makes on-premise cheaper for smaller customers.

Like # people like this
3 votes
Antonio October 30, 2020

For years Atlassian was increasing prices on the server products. It is not a good decision. It's like a punishment for use these product branches. It's a dirty movement with fatal consequences for some bussiness and employments. The reasons are very crystal, the investors ,the money, Atlassian only had to fidelizate the clients, creating mandatory needs for their bussiness management, and afterwards cut this product branch forcing this clients to change their platform if they want to keep using the same system. There is only two ways to follow here, continue using Atlassian under their insane conditions, or looking for alternatives quickly.

And what would be the consequences in a future? There is no way to really know it, but it is a fact that should be very difficult to support this expenses costs by the companies, therefore I think a lot of workers could suffer consequences on their jobs finally due the Atlassian decision. Maybe not today, but in a near future will be a fact.

I would like make a question for your consideration at this point. Why Atlassian?, why do you make that in this situation that we are living actually?. At the whole world workers are being fired or suffering by other worse issues, and the companies are decreasing their bussines incomings due the Covid circunstances. Considering this is a problem that affect currently and it's not a local problem, it's a problem that affect to the WHOLE WORLD. How is possible Atlassian have no shame or respect for the workers, and the situation?

I will finish said to you Atlassian, today is time of tend bridges between us, not cut legs and decreasing possibilities. That's only thing that you are going to get with your decision.

Thank you

3 votes
UJ October 27, 2020

I read the email about 3 times because I just could not believe it. I introduced Confluence, Jira and Bitbucket in our small company, and have been able to get more and more employees interested. Soon we would have been upgrading our license for more users.

Cloud is not an option for us, this has been decided by the management as no sensitive information can be stored on the internet (so DropBox, OneDrive,... are blocked).
A DC license is simply not payable for us we don't see any solution for us. To my regret, we will probably have to switch to an alternative in the future :-(

3 votes
Asten October 26, 2020

HI,

Many of our installations of Atlassian products are inside internal private network. And in these cases, view access to Jira issues or Confluence pages is public (because only members of the company, inside private network can access to the tools).

How can we achieve the same with a Saas architecture ?

Regards

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
October 27, 2020

Hi Asten,

Our Cloud Premium plans do have the added feature of IP allowlisting.  This feature can allow you to setup your Cloud site so that your end users must connect from a specific IP address or range of addresses. 

Of course your end users would need to have the ability to connect to the internet in order to be able to access an Atlassian Cloud site.  We have a comprehensive list of addresses and IP ranges which end users must be able to access over in Atlassian cloud IP ranges and domains.  While this answer is not exactly the same as a true private network, between these two pages you can effectively restrict this access in much the same manner.

Andy

Taylor Huston October 27, 2020

@Andy 

"Our Cloud Premium plans do have the added feature of IP allowlisting.  This feature can allow you to setup your Cloud site so that your end users must connect from a specific IP address or range of addresses. "

Cloud Premium?

So another example of "hey you know this thing you can easily do with On-Prem? Well if you pay EXTRA you can kind of do a half-assed version of it on Cloud!"

Ridiculous

Like # people like this
Sven
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 27, 2020

YES, this is absolutely ridiculous and a "hidden reason" for another MASSIVE price increase. Every (serious) company will need this "basic security feature"!

Additionally, this is something which costs Atlassian NOTHING and for us it just doubles the price, which is not justified at all.

One of the reasons that assures me that this company will have NO FUTURE...

Nobody will ever trust them again...

Like # people like this
Asten October 28, 2020

Hi @Andy Heinzer ,

thank you for your answer.

A usual configuration we have is :

• 1 Jira software for 25 user (IT Department) : 1750 / year
  • 1 jira service desk for 5 agent : 1200 / year
  • 1 confluence for 50 contributors : 2650 / year

Total annual renewal => 5 600

Or for 3 years, with first year licence acquisition => about 22 400 (but licences are already bought in our case)

Hosting on premise (or elected datacenter) is estimated to less than 200 / month => 2400/year (including annual upgrades and security patching)

The same in cloud (Premium as you suggest) is :

• Jira software 25 users 
  • Jira SD 5 agents 
  • Confluece 50 user 

Total Annual => 10 500

for 3 years => 31 500

To summarize, for a 3 years plan, we have :

• On prem, with first year licenses and hosting : 29 600
  • On prem, with already bought licenses and hosting : 24 000
  • On cloud : 31 500

With these numbers, for a new deployment, Cloud could be an alternative, with a less financial effort.

But for existing deployment, it represents an increase of 40% ! How can I "sell" such a cost to the stakeholder? 

Regards

PS : Here, I've excluded all specificities we have, such as :

• Plugins integration
  • Custom dev
  • Communications with externals systems (API, DB, Front Apps, ...)

which have a (huge?) cost to migrate towards Cloud.

Alex Janes October 29, 2020

Our Cloud Premium plans do have the added feature of IP allowlisting.

@Andy Heinzer This requires us to trust that your multi-tenancy data doesn't accidently overlap due to a code error.

(This is something that has happened to even the biggest cloud providers. We once had an issue with SharePoint online where content metadata was able to be seen by other tenants.) 

Normally, I might be able to deal with that. Things happen, and the world might understand. Nothing is flawless, even an on-premise setup.

But since you eroded all of our trust so much with this announcement, it's hard to give you that trust in your cloud. If even one instance of that occurred, the question to me would be, "Well if you didn't trust them, why did you move us there?"

All of that is moot for me anyway because you don't support HIPAA in the cloud, and my contracts prevent me from letting someone else host the data.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events