Say hello and tell us: what's on your desk?

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 30, 2017

Meeples- high five@2x.png

tl;dr: Click here to introduce yourself!

We want this community to be just as much about making connections as it is about learning. Introduce yourself by telling us who you are and what brought you here  – a picture of your desk is optional but encouraged.

So snap a photo of your desk and say hello!

Some other ways to participate:

Also, be sure to read through the blurbs of other members to find users like you.  (On your homepage feed, enter the tag first-post.) 

Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 9.59.46 AM.png

And, as always, thanks for being a part of the Atlassian Community.

163 comments

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 30, 2017

I'm Monique, and I'm one of the community managers here at Atlassian.  I'm working with our team here to help improve the community -- recently I helped redo our answer reminder email template, so hopefully users will have better pointers on marking accepted solutions. 

Random things I love: birding, traveling, musical theater, wine, reading, and board games. My family is from the Netherlands so I'm always happy to talk to my Dutch and Belgian friends. 

This week I'm working on a guide for how Atlassians can participate more on community. And here's my desk in our San Francisco office. (Note this is out-of-date as my desk doesn't have a million empty La Croix cans on it.) 

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 12.50.39 PM.png

Like # people like this
pb
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 30, 2017

I'm Philippe - I'm Head of Online Community, which means that for once, they truly have let the inmate run the asylum.  Enjoy it while it lasts. :-) . It also means that I get to serve as overlord for @Monique vdB and @Erica Moss - if only in my own mind.  

What I'm working on: most of every day is spent plotting or dreaming of ways to get more people to join this community.  That takes a lot of meetings.  

My desk, as anyone who works with me will tell you, is a disaster.  Here it is: you can rejoice in the knowledge that you're spared from working next to me, because @Monique vdB has to do that. 

• Photos of my parent's home in New Mexico. 
  • Pics of my critters. 
  • A mug and plush that were given to me by someone on my team at Reddit and Wikipedia - she was my staff anthropologist (another team member there gave me a broadsword.  That one doesn't go on my desk.)
  • A bottle of Clearly Canadian, because heaven. 
  • Business cards. 
  • A custom coffee mug given to me by Sue Gardner, the former Wikipedia E.D., which says "Today, he did fantastic work.  He also said: 'I hope you all get your heads chopped off, honestly.'"  It's a long story...
  • A copy of Radical Candor, by Kim Scott. 
  • And a super sweet pair of headphones.

IMG_20171030_201907766.jpg

Like # people like this
MadelineBarr November 9, 2017

I am Canadian and I had to look up what "Clearly Canadian" was. I don't think I have ever had one of those. I will have to see if I can find one here. We must have it if it is "Clearly Canadian."

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 9, 2017

Clearly, @MadelineBarr :D

Like # people like this
Saffi Santana November 18, 2019

hello how are you doing

Like Rajesh Viswanathan likes this
Angel Reji January 17, 2020

I am new to this community

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2020

@Angel Reji Welcome, welcome! 🎉

Like # people like this
areji January 22, 2020

@Erica Moss Thank you

Like Erica Moss likes this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2021

Hi, I am new here.  But been a big Confluence and JIRA fan for years.

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2021

@Marjorie Welcome, welcome! 🎉

Like Marjorie likes this
Karan Bhulla February 8, 2022

Hi, I am new to this community 

Jamie Robertson May 18, 2022

Hello.

Umamaheswara Rao January 1, 2023

Hi,

wish you a happy new year  2023

Iam a business analyst 

Aldo Gervasi August 5, 2023

Hello, I am a new here!!!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2017

Hi, I'm Nic Brough (Rhyme it with "rough", before you ask)

I've been here a while.  My first Jira install was a 2.7.3 needing an upgrade when 3 was released, and I had 3 weeks to learn it, then merge a Jira version 1 into the new one.

At that time, I got a LOT of help from the community, and when I realised that I had absorbed stuff from people like Neal Applebaum and Matt Doar, I started to contribute back.  I've kept going, through four incarnations of the community software (Jive, OSQA-based thing, Confluence Questions and now Lithium).

I now work for Adaptavist in the UK, an Atlassian Solution Partner who are one of the oldest, and largest, and focussed almost entirely on Atlassian stuff. 

I work mostly from home, and because of that, I have my own room to hide in when needing to concentrate or have conference calls.  Also, it's the only place in the house where I'm allowed to be untidy. This thread has also made me notice that while office desks tend to be personalised, my desk here isn't.  The personalised stuff is mostly on the walls (well, bookcases). 

As I have space, I spread out a bit.  I've got two desks next to each other, and swap between them depending on what I'm doing.

The second photo is probably familiar to some of you, if you've been on conference calls, it's a step back from the camera on the laptop.  

desk1.jpgdesk2.jpg

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2017

And yes, that O'Reilly book on the right of the bookshelf does say "Doar" on the spine.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 2, 2017

@Matt Doar ^^^ 

Like Saffi Santana likes this
Leslie Lee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 2, 2017

I'm shocked at how neat your workspace is @Nic. For some reason, I just thought there would be more controlled chaos :) 

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 2, 2017

I love the natural lighting so much.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 3, 2017

@Monique vdB- yep, it's a signed copy too and I'm in it somewhere.

@Leslie Lee- there is often a pile of paper with scribbled notes and a cat on it.   But I get too easily distracted by stuff if I leave on the desk, so I tend to try to keep it tidy.  Mostly by hiding it all on shelves just off camera!

@Erica Moss- you might have seen how the natural lighting washes me out on camera in conference calls, hence the lamp behind the monitor.  The wall of the chapel behind us doesn't seem to stop much daylight!

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2017

Nice office, Nic. I'm late to the post (due to a  UK vacation) but I've not only got a new desk, but also a new job. I've started at LinkedIn after six years at ServiceRocket. It was time for a change. My desk has a large picture of an iris so I can screen other people.

IMG_1070-2.jpg

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2017

A flower is a good thing to hide behind :-)

Well done on the new job!

Like # people like this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2018

IMG-0147.JPGHere is a picture of my desk a few months later. Note the self-referential image on the monitor, ceertificates, book and too many keyboards. And the betting dollars - the loser has to write something flattering on the dollar bill.

Like # people like this
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 1, 2017

I'm Thomas and I'm a system administrator at HanseMerkur, an insurance company in Germany. I take care of servers, applications, users, implementing training courses. My main areas of responsibility are

• Jira & Confluence
  • Powerbuilder (for the younger ones of you: this is a programming language, we still use a lot)
  • Versioning and Build Automation

I also started years ago, reading in Atlassian's questions and answers platforms. I think, I started with this OSQA-thing, Nic mentioned in his post. Later, I didn't only read and ask but also answered questions and still do this, if my work leaves enough time for it.

I love board games. Meeting with friends and playing is one of my favorites. I own about a hundred board games and many more card games... But I also like reading, going to the theater, meeting friends for a beer and talk the whole night long... 

Here is a picture of my working place (a part of). It's the more interesting part of my desk. Memorabilias of awesome moments, an ugly but funny owl (it's christmas decoration actually), coffe mug (of course, who can work without coffee?). At the moment I'm fixing a problem with an old Powerbuilder application I've written more than ten years ago. Trying to understand my old code...  :-)

desk2.jpg

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 1, 2017

I love the shape of that coffee mug.   I would need it to be about five times bigger though. :) 

Like Sunny likes this
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 1, 2017

It was handmade by a former colleague of mine. She made two of them for their most favorite colleagues :-)

Unfortunately, now, she has other favorite colleagues somewhere else. 

Like Sunny likes this
Kate Foster March 26, 2018

Yeah, mug is nice. I really like the owl.

Lars Bachmann March 26, 2018

An owl is a must have!

Eulen nach Athen tragen (sic!)

zack
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2017

I'm Zack. I'm a systems administrator at Trifecta. We are a custom software company that focuses on custom Salesforce implementations. Right now, I'm working on plans to upgrade our JIRA and Confluence instances in the next week. I'm also prepping to take the ACP-400 exam in December.

My desk is an assortment of tools and knickknacks that I've picked up at various conferences and events over the years. Those two VMware robots are going to turn on me eventually, I just know it. Within the last 6 months my desk has seen a MASSIVE upgrade in the form of pictures of my new twin daughters (and my patriotic pup, of course!) So while I am certainly working on all that stuff I mentioned before, I'm mostly working on surviving the the first year of being a new twin dad. 

IMG_5043.JPG

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 1, 2017

Those robots definitely look like they're plotting something.

And congratulations on the twins! Sounds exhausting. ;) 

pb
Atlassian Team
November 1, 2017

Monique is right (much as it pains me to say so.  She gets a big head about it.)  Those robots look guilty as heck.

Now those twins.... they're pretty precious.  Congratulations.  Don't worry, you won't miss the sleep.  That is, until the next time you get to sleep, which (by some back o' the envelope calculations) should be around 2022.

Troy Taylor November 2, 2017

I'm currently a developer consultant in State College, PA. I formerly did mobile application development consulting as Woodchuck Apps and now my brother and I do all sorts of consulting as Woodchuck Studio, from web development to small business IT solutions to board game design.

Right now my home office desk has been taken over by a farm animal stock tank that we've made into a terrarium for the newest member of our family, Ptolemy, a 15-year old Russian tortoise we adopted. I will get my desk back once I build the terrarium a floor stand.

IMG_0065.jpg

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 2, 2017

Hi @Troy Taylor and welcome to you and Ptolemy. Definitely the most creative desk picture so far. How long do tortoises live?

P.S. I also want to hear more about your board games --  here is our conversation about gaming!

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 2, 2017

Always here for turtle photos! 🐢

Troy Taylor November 3, 2017

@Monique vdB Russian tortoises usually live for 40 to 60 years, so my 6-year old daughter has promised to take him when I die (though she loves him so much, I bet he goes to college with her).

Right now, we have a card game called Farmers' Market Rally that is in pre-production to be printed early next year. It is kinda like Splendor meets Sushi Go. I have a Civilization-style board game that I'm designing that is set in 1700-1800 Ireland.

Here's a current photo of Ptolemy basking. He's a little grumpy in the afternoon because he just wants to be left alone to nap.

IMG_0101.jpg

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2017

@Troy Taylor 😍😍😍

Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 3, 2017

I love him. I want Ptolemy to be our community mascot.  Like Taco from Trello.  We'll send out stuffed Ptolemys as swag!

I love both Splendor and Sushi Go, so please let me know when Farmers' Market Rally is available; I will definitely pick it up! 

Troy Taylor November 9, 2017

I approve of any Ptolemy-likeness being used as a mascot. He loves any and all attention. 

Troy Taylor November 17, 2017

Ptolemy wants everyone to have a ball this weekend.

IMG_0129.JPG

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2017

YES.

Kate Foster March 26, 2018

I wish I had a desk like that.

NotTheRealStephenSifersNOPENOPENOPENOPE
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 17, 2018

@Monique vdB " I want Ptolemy to be our community mascot."

I second this!

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2019

@Troy Taylor - Just popping in as a stranger, a year later, to say that I need an updated picture of this little guy. 

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 2, 2017

Oh, hey! My name's Erica, and I'm one of the community managers here at Atlassian, working alongside @Monique vdB and @pb — but not physically because I'm based in New York and they're in SF. Thankfully, trolling transcends geography, so there's still plenty of that.

I spend my days figuring out how to further empower the Community Champions we already have, and how to bring even more awesome humans into the group.

My interests include theater (ask me about my favorite show, Dear Evan Hansen, which I have seen seven times), music (the poster near my desk was inspired by one of my faves, Betty Who), social media (I've been known to close an app, only to reopen the same app seconds later) and exploring New York (I've got my eye on a new cocktail bar that just opened, The Aviary, which features a "coffee-tinged old-fashioned served inside a plastic bag filled with everything bagel-scented air.")

Feel free to say hi. 😄

IMG_7557.JPG

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 2, 2017

I am here for that insane cocktail with a bag of air. HERE FOR IT.

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 2, 2017

But also how absurd.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 3, 2017

Ooh, I love that stuffed taco :-)

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2017

@Thomas Schlegel If you wanted one of your own, I could pull some strings for you. 😉

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 3, 2017

@Erica Moss - that would be so great. He will have an awesome home here in Germany :-)

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2017

@Thomas Schlegel Email me your mailing address and local phone number, please. 😄 emoss@atlassian.com

Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 3, 2017

When I got the email notifications for this discussion I thought this was going to be the stuffed taco:

Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 8.18.05 AM.png

Like # people like this
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 3, 2017

hahaha, this is also a nice taco - but the other one is more cute

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2017
Shannon Meehan _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 2, 2018

Hi @Erica Moss - also love the taco, but more intrigued by Dear Evan Hansen. I just read a great article about it in the New York Times which highlighted the emotional rollercoaster that Ben Platt takes on each night and how incredible he is in the role. Definitely on my list for my next trip to New York! 

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2018

@Shannon Meehan _K15t_ I honestly don't know how he did what he did for 2+ years! Important to note: Ben is no longer in the lead role, but I have high hopes for his replacement!

Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 2, 2017

I'm Daniel and a JIRA / Confluence / plenty-of-other-things administrator at JSTOR.

Given that I'm working from home today, here's my rather untidy basement desk. My laptop stand is a screwed together set of IKEA cabinet doors (clearance) that together with hardware cost ~$6. I'm pleased that it's surprisingly sturdy (almost better than my laptop arm at the office) and easily converts to "sitting" if needed (just put the laptop down at desk level and take away the keyboard tray, also an IKEA piece).

Given a few days, this will be tidy again as I repair some old PCs on my desk's side arm and get various handwritten notes into their proper places digitally. There's a few things like Community article ideas that need to not be on paper anymore ;)

Off to the right of my desk is a tower (originally designed for DVDs it looks like) where I stage AUG swag before events. My user group meets twice in one month, so I set all the swag up and split it between the two events based on the RSVP lists. Some things like stickers tend to stick around for several months, so it's nice to keep them organized between events. If you're an AUG Leader, you can see that tower in the AUG collection.

IMG_1920.JPG

Other things I like doing:

• Cooking (lots of cookbooks on the bookshelf behind me)
  • Playing with my 11-month-old daughter - once the basement is cleaned up, she can hang out with me while I type stuff!
  • Playing jazz music with my friends from college - I play flugelhorn and trumpet, and we do a small casual combo that plays a "real" gig (i.e. outside of our houses) about once a year
  • That's about all I have time for at this stage in life - did I mention I have an 11-month-old :)
Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2017

This makes me want a plant for my desk!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 3, 2017

A flugelhorn! Best musical instrument name ever.

Like Oleg Polischuk likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2019

Daniel, there is so much WOW going on in this photo... especially the JSTOR plant pot. Epic! 

🤩🤘

Angela Smith
Atlassian Team
November 2, 2017

Hi there! My name is Angie Smith and I am the Head of Events here at Atlassian. I get the cool job to lead a team of Event Ninja's producing our annual Atlassian Summit in both the US and Europe. We might have the absolute BEST JOB at Atlassian because working with our customers is amazing and who doesn't love to plan a party?

Right now I am working on the Team Tour (more details to come soon) starting in February and ending in April of 2018 coming to  10 global cities (maybe near you). I am also focused on a research project to develop the future of Corporate Events over the next 3-5 years. 

In my personal time I love to drink wine (hey, I live in California and it is a must), entertain (ok plan events), cook and anything beauty related! You might hear me saying in the hallway often "Let's Do This" because I love to be the cheerleader for everyone around me.

Like # people like this
Angela Smith
Atlassian Team
November 3, 2017

And here is a picture :-)

Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 8.44.00 am.png

Like # people like this
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2017

Oh man! Passion planners are great - that's been a Christmas gift for my wife ever since they first came out. She's got a nice healthy stash (organized of course) of the ones from previous years. Which is a great reminder - it's time to order 2018!

Angela Smith
Atlassian Team
November 3, 2017

@Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_ I love that you knew what that was! I love this thing, it is my first full year and love the story how it started with Kickstarter and the TED Talk.

Each Sunday my husband and I take at least 30 minutes to plan for the week, I feel accomplished and ready to tackle the world! I ordered my 2018 one and it just came earlier this week. They have some new styles, I chose Rose Gold. 

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2019

Look at that beautiful copy of Radical Candor.
What's your favourite story ! ?

For some reason I can never forget the Russian picnic with the diamond guys! Really powerful.

Lars Bachmann November 3, 2017

Hej @allIMG_7907.JPG

this hairy thing you can see below is obviously not me. Who can tell what it is? My daughter wants me to let it watch me while working.

Just a very brief introduction: i am working at demicon for Mr. Batman. We are an Atlassian Solution Partner with locations in Stuttgart, Hamburg and Berlin. Job title would be something like Principal Consultant / Head of Sales and Marketing. While scaling the business and being absolutly agile at the same time this might change any time ;-)

Coming originally from the nothern part of germany (reference to my name) i am living in Berlin for almost 20 years now. I still move my old bones twice a week to play in a famous (notorious) football club in Kreuzberg called Pulmon Negro. Being manager (not coach) of that team we won the leisureish amateur tournament in Amsterdam at WV-HEDW (Wilhelmina Vooruit - Hortus Eendracht Doet Winnen) 4 times. @[deleted]: can you manage to set up a team from your HQ? I can arrange your participation. (See: I try to bribe you to get the swag). Btw: we are looking for a new striker. Any ideas?

What else to say... If you come to Berlin stop by at our office for a chat in Krausenstraße 9. Any questions? And any suggestions what sort of animal you see on the photo?

Like # people like this
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 3, 2017

@Lars Bachmann - I think it is an owl - but it is not as colorful as its sister on my desk :-)

Viele Grüße nach Berlin

Lars Bachmann November 3, 2017

Hamburg!!! Well, that triggers me. You probably not know the small village i am from... that is close to Elmshorn which you definetly will know.

Hairy thing on my desk: bingo - an Owl! You earnd a coffe if coming to Berlin some day!

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 3, 2017

I'll take you up on that, I'm in Berlin every now and then.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 3, 2017

Welcome @Lars Bachmann! I am too uncoordinated to play football, but my daughter is named Wilhelmina, so I like the name of your club :) 

I don't know who I'm going to root for in the World Cup this year now that Netherlands and USA are both out!

erwandf November 3, 2017

Hi, I'm Erwan, and I'm QA manager at Whaller, a company that is creating private social networks for everyone.

There is still a mess on my desk, and I have a clear view on my dashboard.

Books are on the left, but not visible on the picture !

IMG_2122.png

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 3, 2017

Welcome @erwandf!  What your company does sounds very interesting and fun to work on :)

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 3, 2017

So I have a pretty regular desk, fairly uninteresting EXCEPT for those who know my Job Title (JIRA Queen), I have one prized treasure, a coaster on my desk given to me by a co-worker.2017-11-03 11.02.50.jpg

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 3, 2017

@pb why have you not gotten me this coaster yet. 

Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2017

Hard to beat that!

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2017

Obsessed.

Joe Tong
Atlassian Team
November 8, 2017

@Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_ lol - that coast says it all!  So awesome!

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2019

There are two ways of reading this coaster . . . 

😨

Like # people like this
Carla_Cox October 22, 2019

I say 3 ways of reading this...

josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2017

I'm Josh, the lead Jira and Confluence admin from Bose in Framingham, Massachusetts. I've been working with Atlassian tools since we brought in Jira for one team of 15 and it's grown to over 3000 users and all of product development since then. I have Jira and Confluence Administrator certifications.

My desk isn't that interesting. Some old swag from summits past. But always have to have two monitors. 

2017-11-03 11.01.31-1.jpg

But for extra credit, here's my collection of badges from conferences:

2017-11-03 10.59.34-1.jpg

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2017

So impressive, Josh! 🏆

Joe Tong
Atlassian Team
November 8, 2017

I'm a channel manger at Atlassian - I work with solution partners across US Central and Canada.  I'm a huge advocate of the community and especially the AUG's in areas where I work.  

Here's my desk - I work remote for Atlassian so dedicated space that is personalized is key to me being productive.  One new addition that is super helpful is the light up sign on the right (says "Welcome to my office") - when the light is on this indicates that I'm not available if family comes into my office - either on a call or doing deep work.  

I'm all about natural lighting and have two windows in my office - when the weather is nice, they're always open.  

IMG_1163.JPG

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2017

The sign is such a great idea — it's challenging, in my open-office environment, to signal to folks when I'm on a call, so I might have to borrow this idea. 😄

Piter November 18, 2017

Great idea!

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
November 9, 2017

I'm Ana and I'm a Support Engineer here at Atlassian. So far I've worked with Jira and Confluence Cloud, Bitbucket Cloud and more recently Sourcetree and Bitbucket Server. I work from our awesome Amsterdam office :)

20171109_094654.jpg

Here's my desk. On it you can see the medal of my first ShipIt victory, my breakfast (I'm a nicer person after I've eaten it :) ), Kudos, toys and merchandise. Not in the picture: my stationery organizer with pens in different colors, post-its, etc and my planner notebook that I can't leave without (ok, I could, but I'd probably forget so much stuff!).

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2017

I love stationery. 🙏🏼

MadelineBarr November 9, 2017

Hello, I’m Madeline Barr and I am an application administrator for Confluence and JIRA at McMaster University (Ontario, Canada).  I’ve been working with Confluence since version 2.2.7 and we are about to upgrade to 6.2.4. I haven’t been working with JIRA as long. I can’t remember which version I started working with but we’re about to upgrade to version 7.5.1.

My desk area is rather large though I mainly use the hydraulic desk in the picture. The other half of my desk seems to be a magnet for treats, candy and bake goods that people want to share. I don’t mind though – free treats, who would mind?

My desk is somewhat messy but it works for me.

I have:

• A autumn picture of a nearby conservation area on the wall
  • An elephant sculpture from Africa
  • Marge Simpson
  • Green sticky notes on my monitor from when my son visited my office years ago. He is always surprised , year after year that I still have it
  • Some lose change (Yes, there is some Loonies and Toonies in there)
  • A Pink Panther stuffy – best cartoon character ever
  • A quote from the blog of Seth Godin about how “You’re doing it wrong” Just something I need to remember

desk.png

Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 9, 2017

Welcome, @MadelineBarr! I love the theme that's emerging of this thread on people's screens :) 

I love that quote too. Reminds me of another one I like: "Perfect is the enemy of good." And Anne Lamott's "Sh&@tty first draft" idea. As a perfectionist, I've really worked to internalize this one! 

MadelineBarr November 10, 2017

Oh, like the enemy quote.

I haven't heard of Anne Lamott and quickly looked her up. I have a technical writing certificate and I do some creative writing, so I will definitely look into her work. Thanks.

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2017

Welcome, @MadelineBarr! 😄

Kimm Michaud November 14, 2017

Hi community!  My name is Kimm and I'm a former Jira and Confluence (server) admin (currently looking for opportunities in Toronto, if you know of anyone) from Milwaukee, WI.  I've also worked with BitBucket, Bamboo and Trello.

This is my desk at home.  While I don't have any animals there currently, I do get visits from time to time from the cats.  I also have a tin of hand lotion, a bicycle pint glass (water.  boo), a hand exerciser ball and a small Gromit statue to remind me to laugh.

IMG_0100.jpg

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2017

Hi Kimm,

I'm the Toronto AUG leader and there are lots of opportunities in Toronto.  Between the Partners (there are several) and many linked-in recruiters offering up Jira admin positions.   Where are you now?

Susan

Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 14, 2017

@MadelineBarr you're pretty near Toronto also, aren't you? 

MadelineBarr November 14, 2017

Yes, I am about an hours drive away from Toronto. I am not aware of any opportunities at the moment but it looks like @Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_ is a good resource.  I should probably connect with both her and @Kimm Michaud.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2017

Toronto?  Watch out for @Harp Athwal (Adaptavist)@Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_ can give you the details... ;-)

I love the Shaun statue - excellent choice.

Piter November 18, 2017

Hello people 👋🏼

My name is Piter Dimitrov. Web & UI Designer at theformula.digital. Currently living in Sofia, Bulgaria. Our team loves to do work for early stage businesses and brands.

This is my office 😊

atlassian-com-theformula-digital-piter-dimitrov-post.jpg

Right now, I’m doing some web design work for a dental tourism agency.

atlassian-com-theformula-digital-piter-dimitrov-post-two.jpg

Things I love to have around me:
• Plants 🌱 
• Drinkable water 💧 
• Wireframe sketches
• Coffee ☕️
• Books 📚 
• Pens and paper 📝
• Crystals

atlassian-com-theformula-digital-piter-dimitrov-post-three.jpgatlassian-com-theformula-digital-piter-dimitrov-post-four.jpg

Interests:
• Mountain ⛰ Traveling 
• Cooking 🥘 
• Beat making 🎶 
• Spirituality and meditation
• Filmmaking 🎥 
• Photography 📷

atlassian-com-theformula-digital-piter-dimitrov-post-five.jpgatlassian-com-theformula-digital-piter-dimitrov-post-six.jpgatlassian-com-theformula-digital-piter-dimitrov-post-seven.jpg

Wishing the best to all!

LOVE WHAT YOU DO
DO WHAT YOU LOVE

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2017

Your photos are amazing!

Piter November 21, 2017

Thank You @Erica Moss!!!

Ashish
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 22, 2017

Ashish's Desk.JPG

Hello Everyone,

I am Ashish Agrawal, a co-founder, Chief Operating Officer, and Certified Scrum Product Owner at SmartMobe Solutions while the community leader of AUG-Kathmandu Chapter.

I live in Kathmandu, Nepal: an incredibly diverse historic city with breathtaking Newari architecture, centuries-old Hindu and Buddhist religious sites along with beautiful hills in surroundings.

There is some stuff at my desk which help me to enjoy my work and to be productive throughout the day.

• My day starts with a coffee and ends with a coffee and the coffee mug having company logo on it is my coffee partner ;)
  • A laptop along with a monitor, a keyboard and a mouse to make my work easier
  • I am a music lover and love listening varieties of music during my work and headphone helps me enjoying it without disturbing others.
  • A bunch of pencils, pens, markers etc. to do some drawing and written stuff.
  • A bottle of water helps me to not get dehydrated
  • A 3-in-1 printer for printing, scanning, and making the Xerox of the documents.
  • My mobile in silent mode.
  • Last but not the least a beautiful plant just behind my laptop to generate oxygen for me and my laptop :p

I enjoy my weekend with my family and by playing cricket and futsal with my colleagues and friends. Beside that helping several local communities to grow for making a better platform for IT Professionals and students in Nepal.

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 27, 2017

Welcome, @Ashish! And thanks for sharing your workspace with us. 🙂 What have you been listening to recently?

bahar November 25, 2017

IMG_0917.jpg

Hi everyone, I am Habib Ullah Bahar, Co-Founder of Field Buzz and based in Dhaka, the capital city of Bangladesh.

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 27, 2017

I love the tiny plants — I, too, have a baby succulent on my desk. 😄

Daniel Fernandes November 26, 2017
Hi, I'm Daniel and I work as a DevOps engineer at Watchguard helping to build products that brings digital safety for small and medium business.

That is my desk at the office in Brazil.
Daniel Fernandes November 26, 2017

Image got stripped. :)

IMG-20171123-WA0003.jpegIMG-20171124-WA0008.jpeg

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 27, 2017

Dual monitors — now that's a cool setup. 😎

Like Daniel Fernandes likes this
Daniel Fernandes January 15, 2019

Now I'm working from home like twice or three times a week and I got myself an office at home as well... hehe

This is what it looks like when I start...

IMG_20190115_113720.jpg

This is what it looks like in the afternoon...

IMG_20181115_141341301.jpg

And this is the little buddy that I get to play with when I'm working from home... hehe...

IMG_20180413_093415278.jpg

He likes to play catch with his yellow ball, but you have to catch him first so you can take the ball from him and throw it again... Smart boy! hehe...

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2019

I am Fun Man Andy and I approve of this amazing @Home Set-Up. 

@Monique vdB: the 2019 Community Awards needs a "Best Work From Home Set-Up" Award :P

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2019

@danielpsf Wow, super impressive set-up!

Like Daniel Fernandes likes this
Daniel Fernandes January 16, 2019

Thanks... ☺️

HjoshM November 28, 2017

Hello,

Is there an email address to which I can send feedback?

I am going through the git tutorials and I have found a few typos.

I just wanna report them, so they are corrected.

Thanks

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 28, 2017

Hi! Feel free to email communitymanagers@atlassian.com. Thanks!

HjoshM November 28, 2017

Sent!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 29, 2017

Important update: I just returned from a vacation to Italy, where I got this little glass fish for my desk.  I felt you all should know.

Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 12.29.24 PM.png

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 29, 2017

This is perfect. 🙏🏼

Kristi Colvin December 3, 2017

I love that!

MadelineBarr January 30, 2018

Oh that's so cute! Love it!

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2019

@Monique vdB: It looks beautiful.

Yey for updates! 
Since I last posted, my own desk has become over run over with Googly Eye Syndrome ! 

IMG_5423.JPG

Sanchit Khurana August 16, 2020

Love it!

Howdy from Texas! At the moment, I am on holiday till end of year, running back and forth from family in Kansas and Texas, but I live in beautiful Greenville, SC and have a client in Atlanta that hired me to redesign their product which was just announced at the Atlassian Summit. You can see screenshots of it here: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.forty8fiftylabs.plugins.atlassian.smarthandler_for_mail/server/overview

I have been a UX designer for (gasp) nearly two decades now, and have done design for many platform-based products in addition to web-based, from scratch products that I designed from inception. I love to design software - making everyday tasks a little less mundane is a nice challenge I guess. You can see my non-updated portfolio at freshid.com if you like. I have been mid-site-redesign forever but work keeps getting in the way.

Since I don't have desk pics, here is a photo of my constant companion next to my desk in Kansas City when I rescued her 6 years ago. She is still a spitfire, but now only has one eye. Sydney recently survived the worst kind of cancer this last year. We go on lots of adventures which is why I have to drive long distances that make me scream to bring her with me. For fun, I am also a triathlete of mediocre skill, and frequent lambaster of political hypocrisy on Twitter @kriscolvin. 

I'd love to do another Jira product design so if you ever need UX help, let me know! :-)2017-03-23 22.42.09.jpg

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
December 4, 2017

Aah I love your puppy!

Just followed you on Twitter, too. 

@Test User KL is our community designer and often looking for UX input.  Kevan, do you have anything going on right now @Kristi Colvin might be able to provide input into?

Karen O'Keefe January 4, 2019

Beautiful, sweet puppy!

Celina Zamora May 28, 2019

Ermergerd...I am in love. Such a cutie! My pup thinks he's that little, but he's an 80lb lab and still tries to sit on my lap when he's on the couch lol. 

Rajesh Viswanathan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2021

so sweet puppy...

Howdy from Texas! At the moment, I am on holiday till end of year, running back and forth from family in Kansas and Texas, but I live in beautiful Greenville, SC and have a client in Atlanta that hired me to redesign their product which was just announced at the Atlassian Summit. You can see screenshots of it here: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.forty8fiftylabs.plugins.atlassian.smarthandler_for_mail/server/overview

I have been a UX designer for (gasp) nearly two decades now, and have done design for many platform-based products in addition to web-based, from scratch products that I designed from inception. I love to design software - making everyday tasks a little less mundane is a nice challenge I guess. You can see my non-updated portfolio at freshid.com if you like. I have been mid-site-redesign forever but work keeps getting in the way.

Since I don't have desk pics, here is a photo of my constant companion next to my desk in Kansas City when I rescued her 6 years ago. She is still a spitfire, but now only has one eye. Sydney recently survived the worst kind of cancer this last year. We go on lots of adventures which is why I have to drive long distances that make me scream to bring her with me. For fun, I am also a triathlete of mediocre skill, and frequent lambaster of political hypocrisy on Twitter @kriscolvin. 

I'd love to do another Jira product design so if you ever need UX help, let me know! :-)2017-03-23 22.42.09.jpg

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 6, 2017

Such a cute doggo, Kristi! Welcome. 😄

MaryP July 30, 2018

Hi I am Mary,

I have been developing websites for customers for 20 years.  We use an agile process with programmers and customers.  Our goal is to assure we are giving customers what they ask for and to minimize hours spent in development.  We love jira for the accountability it provides our customers.

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 1, 2018

Welcome, @MaryP! 👋🏼

alexchaychenko March 29, 2019

Hi! I'm Alex.

I'm jira admin in e-commerce company. I'm helping people to build business processes on Jira.

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 29, 2019

@alexchaychenko Welcome, welcome!

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2020

Hi Everyone,

I'm certified Jira administrator, and hoping to gain more knowledge on Jira, Linux and much more through the community,

Next stop is Confluence and Jira System Administrator !

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 6, 2020

@Pramodh M Welcome, welcome! 😄

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2020

Thank you @Erica Moss ! 

Like # people like this
Douglas March - NOAA Affiliate February 28, 2022

Hi Everyone, 

This entire ecosystem is new to me, so I am taking my time to learn all the details involved in getting proficient. 

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 1, 2022

@Douglas March - NOAA Affiliate Welcome, welcome! 🎉

Andre VORAKHOUMANE January 17, 2023

Hi everyone,

I'm so happy to join the atlassian community and eager to learn with all of you.

I am using jira since 2 years and will have a jira admin function in my company.

Like Chris Noble likes this
Chris Noble January 17, 2023
Mike Monk February 3, 2023

Welcome :)

Michael Bohlender November 16, 2023

So here we go ... Welcome all :)

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events