Online community at Summit US

pb
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 26, 2017

Hi all - 

First, by way of introduction, I'm Philippe.  I'm the new Head of Online Community at Atlassian.  I come to Atlassian by way of two of the most diametrically opposed sites on the web, Wikipedia and reddit.  Take from that what you will...

But I'm really here to ask your thoughts on something - the online community (and offline community / User group) will be participating in Summit US.  We're trying to figure out what that would look like right now - we have our own thoughts, of course, but I wanted to open this topic up to see what you would HOPE to see us doing there?  

Do you have ideas for things that we can do to raise awareness of the community at Summit?  The Greatest.  Gift.  Giveaway. Idea.  Ever.?  Here's your (first) chance to let us know.

Should we be focusing on providing content to speakers, or on staffing a booth to introduce people to the community?  

While this isn't a totally blank slate for this year, it is largely a blank slate for following Summits.  We're a little constrained for this year, by virtue of the fact that we had to put some things in already (for instance, we will have a booth, some swag, and are exploring ideas around some custom badges for those who attend), but we're willing to go back to re-evaluate going forward.

4 comments

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2017

Greatest gift: Lego. Champion minifigs?

Some big statistics about the community perhaps on a large board

Live streaming of the community as it happens could be interesting. Might need to be curated.

pb
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 26, 2017

I love these ideas!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
June 26, 2017

I can't click Like but if I could, I would. Lego minifig bar with Atlassian T-shirt bodies (and a special one for Champions). 

Like Terri Yeago likes this
Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2017

I will definitely come by your booth at Summit. Wish there was a community here in Norway though!

Perhaps some information on how communities can come to be.

Cheers,

Lars

pb
Atlassian Team
June 26, 2017

Lars - luckily, there's the online version where we don't have a city version - but in your case, it looks like there's a newly formed group in Oslo!

Check out https://aug.atlassian.com/events/details/atlassian-oslo-presents-kicking-off-the-oslo-atlassian-user-group for more information.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
June 26, 2017

And Lars you can sign up for the Oslo group here as well: https://aug.atlassian.com/oslo/

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2017

Wow! We did not know that. 

It`s a quite a long trip from Trondheim to Oslo, but at least it`s in the same country :)

Thanks,

Lars, Kantega Single Sign-on

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2017

I think you can reach people much more with a booth (and some eyecatching giveaways that are not forgotten in any drawer after summit) than with a speaker on the stage.

Since it is a community platform, the community should somehow be visible there. Physically or virtually.   

Swag - I love lego too, Years ago, I brought a lego figure with an USB stick inside from another conference. If such a figure would wear an Atlassian T-Shirt, that would be a nice eyecatcher.

Maybe a nice cap. I love caps, as you can see from my image. Maybe special T-Shirts (Atlassian's classic giveaway) or juggling balls. Maybe a small dice game like "Hero Dice" or so with a special Atlassian Hero theme (don't know, if this is possible, just an idea). 

But please no cups, cheap ballpens, fidget spinners, sticky notes. Or they have to be so extraordinary that everybody wants one of them :-)

pb
Atlassian Team
June 28, 2017

..../me goes to cancel order for cups, pens, fidget spinners, and sticky notes.  Oops.

(But seriously, Thomas, thank you.  I agree - I hate cheap, predictable, boring giveaways.  That's why I asked here, to see what speaks to people.  Thanks for the great thoughts.)

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2017

Powerbanks are also very useful giveaways in times of too weak mobile phone batteries  (maybe too expensive, don't know)

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events