Just question of future of on-premises products

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2020

Hello, world! :)
My name is Gonchik, I am working with Atlassian products last 8 years.
So my main focus is Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, Bamboo, which provides a full ecosystem with easy integrations.
Today #Atlassian announced about changes with products and long-term solutions as we know its #cloud.
Based on that, I was wondering most interesting tasks like performance tuning, flexible add-on developments are going to be stopped. Because in #Cloud we have more restrictions.
I have a few questions, how will continue the companies with the next changes, people correctly employee who made a huge process for the companies, as it affects a big amount of people: like #partners, #engineers.
Does it mean, time to focus on #AzureDevOps, #AWS, and #GCE or Data Analysis? Or it's time to provide another solution to companies?
I am happy to see the ticker #TEAM on #Nasdaq for #Atlassian (I mean team oriented), hence I hope Atlassian will provide a great answer for the last announce (https://lnkd.in/e7Czii6) and for my questions.

Also, if you think it's related to you or interesting to you, I will be happy if you add a comment and share that info.

Have a good weekend.

Cheers,
Gonchik
Atlassian enthusiast
#atlassian

4 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Alex Janes November 2, 2020

I have only received wishy washy answers on the future state of DC. Per their earnings report, they said that all of their customers will move to the cloud in the medium term.

You can see for yourself at the following post...

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Feedback-Forum-questions/Re-Re-Answering-your-questions-on-changes-to-server-and/qaq-p/1522838/comment-id/2454#M2454

0 votes
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2020
0 votes
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 19, 2020

@Timur  Thank you for your response. I have created the next ticket.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CLOUD-11061

Let's vote please

0 votes
Timur October 16, 2020

Taking into account the abovementioned decision and all that instability in the world, Atlassian is becoming a risky platform in long-term especially here in Russia. Also, some factors may potentially make Russian market less interesting to Atlassian.

1. We, too, have local regulations similar to GDPR which prohibit storing user data outside Russia.
  2. According to my experience, having specific security requirements is quite common among Atlassian users. This may include access to source code.
  3. The Constitution now states the priority of local law and we have long history of neglecting Western copyright law even during post-Soviet era. In theory in some scenarios, this may potentially lead to unexpected consequences like forking a Russian version of Jira, for instance, and calling that import substitution.
  4. Even more, what happens if Russian users loose access to Atlassian Marketplace due to some administrative restrictions like a Russian version of Chinese Great Firewall or international payment issues? Obviously for such users access to source code is not an issue since they may already be using add-ons that don't provide source code. But the lack of desired add-ons may become a showstopper for them. OTOH, for example, ALM Works, the developers of Structure, are based in Russia and they may adapt, plus there are still pirated versions of some add-ons that may probably be (legally) decompiled, but enough…

I'm not saying 3 and 4 will happen. Well, some months ago that would sound totally crazy to most of us but seeing how global economy is restructuring and political landscape is changing this doesn't seem impossible after all.

Honestly, I don't know if there's anything Atlassian can do from their side. Most likely they're trying to cut some costs and this is understood, but I hope I'm mistaken.

I wonder if there's anything Russian Atlassian users can do about that?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events