I received a Notification I should not have got

ben January 22, 2020

Hi,

See these screen shots to see the problem. I should not have received this email since I have not joined any Atlassian Community Group, I live in Canada, not San Fran, and I can't beleive I'm lucky enough to have a global Atlassian username handle of "@ben"!.

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 9.06.22 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-22 at 9.07.32 AM.png

3 comments

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2020

Everyone who has an Atlassian Account is part of the Community (or, rather, their Atlassian account lets them use it).  My guess is that you are an Atlassian Cloud user, with a place that uses Atlassian accounts for access.

I'm afraid Alison simply got the wrong Ben.  Your mention handle is simply ben, so you got it when she found the wrong Ben!  It's a bit of a curse sometimes, having a short name here!

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 22, 2020

Congrats on having the handle of "ben". You can modify your publicly visible name to reduce the changes of being @-mentioned in error but otherwise it is just the curse of having a great handle.

FYI @Alison (I hope I got the correct one - there is more than one person with public name Alison that works at Atlassian!)

Alison
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 22, 2020

correct tag @Kat Warner -that's a great suggestion!

Apologies @ben 

I tried to tag the original poster, a different Ben, but got tangled in the autocomplete. Sharing a screenshot below of how it might be easy to make this mistake. Perhaps more user differentiation is in the works so this can be avoided - I'll be more mindful in the meantime.Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 1.04.41 PM.png

Like Dan Winkler likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 24, 2020

@Alison and @ben one good tip is that if you just type the @ symbol, the names that pop up are only of the people who are part of the conversation. Makes it a lot easier to avoid this mistake! But as someone who uses @ a lot, I feel the pain of the giant list of people all with the same name... 

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 11.25.14 AM.png

Like Kat Warner likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 24, 2020

P.S. We do have community groups in Canada by the way... and the PEI group for Trello...

Also tagging @benholfeld aka the original Ben just so he can see your entertaining screenshots.

Like Kat Warner likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events