Don't close question posts that have an accepted answer

Ture Hoefner December 18, 2020

I was reading an old post about a problem I was bashing on and finally solved.  I had found the post before I solved my problem.

The post was a question with an answer that the OP accepted.

Moderators later closed the post:

post_closed.png

That's too bad because I discovered things that were on topic and illuminated the problem the OP had and I found a better solution than the one in the thread. 

I was going to post additional information to the thread... but the thread is closed.

imo, a question post should never be closed.  Things change, problems evolve as the product evolves, more detail-oriented folks come along later and are willing to explain WHY a solution works instead of letting a "do this trick" answer go unexplained.

1 comment

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2020

Posts mostly get closed when they are attracting a lot of pointless noise, necroposting, or "this has changed in the last 9 years" type stuff.

Thing is, your "better solution" might well be, but things have moved on, and it's probably of little use to more recent systems.    The CAB has discussed several times automatically closing all the questions that have a start date lying before the oldest in-support version of the system being questioned (although that would be quite entertaining given that would be only "8 weeks ago" for Cloud systems!)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events