Community Email Notification Subject Line Length

Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2017

Greetings, I know email notification functionality in general is being discussed on other threads, but I wanted to talk about a very specific piece of it:  the subject line.

Each message's subject line begins with: "[Atlassian Communty] "

Example: [Atlassian Community] New answer available in JIRA

Can you remove "[Atlassian Community] " in the subject line?  The "FROM" value is "Atlassian Community" so there's no need to display it twice.  Those 22 characters could be used to display more of the real subject line (which hopefully will one day be related to the question/discussion/article, rather than today's generic "New answer available..." copy.

Here's how this looks today in both a destop email client (Thunderbird 45.8 on a Win 10 machine) and on a smart phone (Samsung S7).  A lot of wasted space is taken up by the beginning of the subject, especially on a mobile view.

Desktop View:

desktop-mail.png

Mobile View:

Screenshot_20170411-090701.png

Thanks for considering!

2 comments

Comment

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 11, 2017

Thanks for this! Great point.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2017

And if the post's title could be used instead of "New question" that would make it easier to triage all these emails

Maarten Arts
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2017

I would even go as far as putting the message in the email body. There's currently only a username and a link.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 12, 2017

I would Like that comment but apparently that feature is not available!?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events