Add a warning at the top of 8 years old discussions?

Thomas Güttler April 23, 2020

I think the community forum contains a lot of outdated questions.

Example: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-do-I-get-the-quot-Average-Time-In-Status-quot-chart-to-work/qaq-p/227721

How could the situation get improved?

Add a warning at the top of pages which are more than 7 years old?

2 comments

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2020

If you think about outdated questions/discussions you need to know that those actually might not have on single answers that end the topic. Over the years answer might change so even someone asked a question related to Jira 4.4 the topic might be still valid for 8.x or later.. It is only a matter of getting the overall context. Someone might not be possible 8 years ago but it is possible now or vice versa.. someone was possible in the past and now it is not.. It is giving you whole information..

I am posting answers for around.. hmm 10 years already and many of them are still valid some of them not (URLs might not work, etc.). But overall it is hard to categorize post only by date.. For Cloud related posts you do not even get version and the UI is changing many times, so it is very hard to know if the posts/answers would be up to date or not..

If this is only a matter of visualizing posts I think something can be improved here like a message "This post was created in the past and might be outdated" however not sure if this would change a lot for overall community experience. More people overall prefer to create a new post instead of searching for old that is why we have many duplicates and I think that is more of a problem than the date.

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Thomas Güttler April 23, 2020

Yes you are right. This reminds me of this guideline: Do not send long instructions to customers via mail 

Writing a question seems easier for some people than searching for an answer :-)

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events