Usernames, privacy, email changes, alter egos, and you

Note from your Community Managers: If you need us to help you troubleshoot an account issue, please always reference your Community profile URL in addition to your email address.

Community URL.png

Why are you displaying my full name and how can I change it?

We log you into the Atlassian Community using your Atlassian ID, and your username is automatically generated based on your Atlassian ID. 

To change your name:

1. Visit id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/profile-and-visibility 

2. Update the Public Name field 

3. You can either wait a few minutes for the community to update your name, or log out and back in to update immediately

View our privacy policy for more information

There are multiple versions of me and the wrong one is getting tagged

If you have multiple Atlassian IDs, this can happen! We are working on improvements, but in the meantime, you can use the steps above to update your usernames to make it clear which one you want to use. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 12.40.31 PM.png

Note: Usernames no longer support (parentheses) or [brackets] and users will be unable to tag you if you try to use them. Use -dashes- or {curly brackets} instead!

Anything else to know about usernames?

They do not support emojis; if you have an emoji in your public name, it will be removed from your community handle.

There are multiple versions of me and I'm getting automatically logged in as the wrong one

1. Log out at id.atlassian.com

2. Log out of Community

3. Log in on Community, now you get the id.atlassian.com login form and can put your preferred account details

There are multiple versions of me, can I just merge them into one?

Unfortunately, we can't currently merge two profiles. I recommend adding {Deactivated} or similar to any profile you don't want to use, and updating the profile picture, so you can make sure you're always using your preferred account.

I need to change my email address but don't want to lose my history!

You can update your email address on your Atlassian account.

1. Visit https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/profile-and-visibility

2. Update the E-mail address field  

3. Log out of Community

4. Log back in to Community

That didn't work! My email is locked down because it's associated with my company

In this case, you should create a new Community account using your preferred personal email address. Once set up, actually log in to the Community using this account that is now associated with your personal email address. Important: Do not create any new activity with the new account, as it cannot be migrated or combined with your previous activity.

Then create a support case using this link with the following information:

• A link to your original Community profile (the one associated with your company email address) and include the old email address
  • A link to your new Community profile (the one associated with your personal email address) and include the new email address

Our support team can then work to re-associate your history with the profile attached to your personal email address. Remember: Any activity from your new profile will not be migrated, so it's best to leave it blank/unused.

If you'd like to stay up-to-date with all changes to Community, please follow the community-release-notes tag. Thank you @Daniel Eads for contributing to this article.

16 comments

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2019

Thanks! :)

Like suwit sinra likes this
He Who Shall Not Be Named April 16, 2019

I have the same Atlassian ID for Community as for our Cloud JIRA/Confluence.

If I change my "Full Name", then it applies to both Community and Cloud JIRA/Confluence. FYI, I am not seeing this "Public Name" field.

Is it possible to have your proper name displayed on private Cloud JIRA/Confluence instances, but have a different name displayed on Community which is a public (but useful) forum?

There is clearly a difference in scenario here and hopefully there is a way to address it.

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
May 21, 2019

@Cody Stevens  you may find this article helpful!

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
May 21, 2019

@He Who Shall Not Be Named that is something we are working on but don't support as yet. Currently we only have one name field and it's the same across products. 

You could create a new account just for community that isn't connected to your other Atlassian ID. You might want to use a dedicated browser for that so you don't accidentally get logged in with your second account. (This is a pain but definitely will allow you to spin up a different account with an anonymized name while we work through the solution.) 

He Who Shall Not Be Named May 21, 2019

@Monique vdB 

Currently we only have one name field 

Could you point me to any documentation regarding Full Name and Public Name?

I am failing to understand the difference between these. It seems Full Name is being used, I have yet to see Public Name in use.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Feedback-Forum-questions/I-did-not-opt-in-to-Atlassian-s-community-How-do-I-opt-out/qaq-p/1044316?utm_source=atlcomm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=immediate_general_reply&utm_content=topic

In this thread, at one point I had successfully update my name being displayed that is different from my given name. Suddenly, now it is displaying my given name again. 

Despite repeated attempts to change my name (both Full and Public), it does not seem to save properly.

Could you please check and help me out on this?

Cody Stevens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2019

Perfect timing @Monique vdB ! You tagged my other profile too so I am taking steps to prevent that now!

Like Monique vdB likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
May 22, 2019

I know, there is no rhyme or reason to what the @ mention system decides to put first! We're working on improvements to that though. 

Like # people like this
Ana Bolanos December 17, 2019

I got it to work for me by using a different browser to set up my new account. 

Look forward to staying in touch!!

Like # people like this
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2022

@Friendly Giant - As discussed, this is the one you need to check out! 🤣

Like Friendly Giant likes this
Kerli Loopman
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 1, 2022

I think that everyone who are using several accounts should check out browser profiles (I am using them in Edge and Chrome but I believe that all popular browsers allow this - just click on your profile image in your browser and there is "Add" or "Add profile" there.). 

This would be helpful for that question: "There are multiple versions of me and I'm getting automatically logged in as the wrong one"

You can create different profiles for work, school, personal and Atlassian Community for example and then you can have several browser windows for different accounts and you don't have to log in and out from your different accounts all the time and check constantly which account is currently logged in. I use different pictures and themes/colors for different profiles.

profiles.png

Like # people like this
Piyush A (STR)
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2023

Actually, My company email address is having 'Community leader' tags, this is something is required to be changed to my personal email address. How to do that? Can't find that option and also the perosnal and company both are in use? Can we just delete the company account from the community site?

Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2023

While user profiles that @Kerli Loopman mentioned work really well on Chrome, if you're using Firefox, this method could be a little tricky to achieve.

Anyhow, I was wondering if community devs thought about having a switch profile option (same as Atlassian support portal recently rolled out)? This would definitely make my life easier sometimes.
@Monique vdBare there maybe any insights on that?

Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 14, 2023

@Piyush A (STR) reach out to your CM and they can help!

@Tomislav Tobijas that is something we would LOVE to have. We have a lot of technical dependencies that make it difficult but we will keep trying to make it happen. 

Like Tomislav Tobijas likes this
Ismael Jimoh August 3, 2023

Hi @Monique vdB ,

Similar to Piyush above, unfortunately, I don't know who my community manager is. I am raising the ticket to move the account membership but I wouldn't mind losing community contribution for my personal account as I rarely used it.

Sanjog Sigdel
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 13, 2023

Hi @Monique vdB I want my atlasian community account to be associated with my personal email account. I've created a support ticket for the same:-

https://support.atlassian.com/requests/CA-2495812/

Samuel Saliente Jr. October 23, 2023

HI, How to I know my URL in Atlassian? Please help. Thank you.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events