Support for multiple identity providers in Data Center is here!

Hi all,

I’m Darren, a developer here at Atlassian and the feature lead on one of our recent Data Center platform features. I’m here to share with you all that support for multiple identity providers (IdPs) is now available in Data Center!

We know many of our enterprise customers have been requesting it, so we’re excited to share the news. With this feature, you’ll now be able to add more than one identity provider using SAML or OpenID Connect in Data Center, thereby allowing different groups of users to authenticate via different IdPs. For example, you can now have internal teams authenticate through one identity provider and external teams (like business partners) authenticate through another in order to access the same instance. Our goal is to help you simplify user management for your Atlassian products at the enterprise level.

Support for multiple IdPs is now available in our marketplace SSO app and will be bundled in our Data Center products soon. To learn more about configuring multiple IdPs, check out our documentation here.

10 comments

Comment

Jaswanth P March 24, 2021

Thanks for the update, @Darren McGarry .

I downloaded and installed in our DC instance v8.11 and I am getting not compatible error.

Snag_68e51f6.png

Darren McGarry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2021

Hi @Jaswanth P, thanks for reaching out!

Unfortunately, version 4.2.0 of the plugin (which comes with the multiple IdPs capability) is only available for Jira Data Centre versions 8.15 or above at the moment. You can check which products and versions are supported by the plugin by clicking on the "Versions" tab in its Atlassian Marketplace listing. Consider upgrading your Jira DC instance if you're able to :)!

Cheers!

Ashwini_More _miniOrange March 25, 2021

Hi Jaswanth,

If you are looking for SSO compatible with your datacenter version, I would suggest you try the marketplace apps, they provide an extensive set of features including multiple IDP support.

I am part of the development team of such an addon developed by miniOrange. We are one of the Top SSO vendors in the Atlassian marketplace with cost-effective SSO solutions.

Go ahead and try the add-on for free! The add-on is available for a free trial and you can generate a trial license from Atlassian Marketplace.

Thanks,
Ashwini

Like Mahima_miniOrange_SSO likes this
Jayesh Baviskar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2021

Hi @Darren McGarry 

Thanks for sharing, this will be really helpful feature for large organizations.

Regards,

Jayesh

Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 5, 2021

Hi @Darren McGarry,

How does the plugin select which IdP is triggered?

Darren McGarry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 7, 2021

Hi @Capi [resolution]!

We've added a new page to the login flow that displays a list of enabled IdPs as buttons, which can be configured by the instance admin. When logging in, the user selects the IdP that applies to them which will trigger the usual SSO login flow. For more information, check out our documentation around configuring multiple IdPs.

Hope that answers your question!

Cheers :)

Like Capi [resolution] likes this
Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 7, 2021

Thanks, Darren! I think it does, thanks for clarifying!

Like Darren McGarry likes this
Evan Underwood-Harley
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2021

Good to see multiple IDP are now supported. Will this be the same for Atlassian Access as well in the near future? @Darren McGarry 

Darren McGarry
Atlassian Team
April 21, 2021

Hi @Evan Underwood-Harley!

I'm not 100% in the loop when it comes to Cloud products like Access (since I work on the Data Center side), but I believe Multiple IdPs is not currently on the roadmap for Access. You can check out this issue on Atlassian Jira for more info and to keep track of the feature's status.

Hope that answers your question!

Cheers!

Like Evan Underwood-Harley likes this
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2021

Glad to know that and thanks @Darren McGarry for the configuring multiple IdPs documentation link.

Like Darren McGarry likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events