Migrate to Atlassian Access

Jarret Peterson May 27, 2021

We have started to look at the required migration of our Atlassian products to the Atlassian Accounts IDP.  The documentation is a little unclear on exactly what will happen in our circumstances.

We currently use Okta Single Sign-on for StatusPage and non-Enterprise accounts for BitBucket.  The documentation seems to indicate that when the migration is complete, there will be NO IMPACT to the experience for any user.  They will not have to do anything different than they are already doing to get into your cloud products.

Is this a correct statement?  After I (the owner/admin) click the “claim accounts” link in the Accounts admin console and connect Okta SSO; the users will not even know anything happened?

2 comments

Comment

mattdgray May 27, 2021

I just did this recently with Statuspage - a few important notes that made this a pain for me:

• If your users have ever used Trello, doesn't matter if they haven't used it in years and the team they used it for is gone, they'll get an email asking them to link their account
  • Statuspage users that didn't already have an Atlassian ID account had to verify their account, they get an email telling them to do so
  • When you claim the users it pulls in anyone who's ever had an account with your email domain. Any users who don't have statuspage access are billable. If you disable any of those billable users to save the license cost, they get an email telling them their account was disabled. 
Like # people like this

Thanks for this information, @mattdgray. It has helped us prepare for the next steps.

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2021

The other bit they will see is that authentications are going through Okta. Additionally, they will have to be assigned Atlassian Cloud in Okta to gain/regain access.

Like # people like this

We figured as much.  This might be a little fun, because we have different user lists for different products.  Once we flip the switch, are we able to allocate users to different apps (StatusPage, etc.) so we are not paying for licenses we do not need?

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2021

The most annoying thing I have found about Atlassian Access is that it is very easy to select humans that ARE a thing but I can't get the inverse of that to use for a bulk turn off/turn on/whatever. 

The big change here is, from the Okta side, you configure to Atlassian Cloud (singular) but IN Atlassian Cloud is where you need to set up product access. If you can, I would recommend building some groups you can rule around for who gets what thing.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events