Calling Community members who have upgraded to Data Center (or are thinking about it)

Jacob Shepard
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 9, 2019

Hey Community, my name is Jacob and I’m a Product Marketing Manager on the Data Center team. We want to hear from you! We understand that the move to our Data Center products doesn’t happen overnight, but when you are ready we want to help you make the strongest case possible.

Before we embark on creating assets and materials, we thought it would be best to hear from y’all.

For those who have switched to Data Center, what helped you build your case? Are there materials you presented to your company, or are there resources you wish you had?

For those who haven’t made the switch (yet), what can Atlassian do to help support your case? What kind of assets? What information do you need?

Thanks for your input. Please share your comments, input, feedback and any ideas below.

Cheers,

Jacob

1 comment

Comment

Todd Thomas July 11, 2019

We haven't switched yet because of one major factor- cost. The problems we have switching to Data Center are:

1. Data Center costs much more.
  2. Maintenance is a LOT more since you pay annually instead of at a 50% discount.
  3. All Apps cost a bunch more, too.

I haven't done the pricing comparison yet, but I imagine it would cost us about 3 times as much ANNUALLY to switch to Data Center. That's a huge barrier to adoption.

Some solutions:

1. Reduce the cost of Data Center generally (both purchase pricing and maintenance).
  2. Some combo of both.

Because the main Jira suite (Software, Service Desk, and Confluence) offer basic functionality but require additional Apps to get feature parity with other vended products, adding in Apps plus Data Center costs really starts to put it in the same price point as your major competitors. If we're talking about those costs, I'd be tempted to move over to a much more fully-featured, market-leading product instead.

The Apps Marketplace has also improved greatly, but there's still about 50% of the Apps that are only available on Server and not Data Center. That's improving, but having those environments be the same would be good, too.

Don't get me wrong, we like Jira and Confluence, and the benefits of Jira Data Center would be very nice. But the pricing of Data Center makes this solution cost prohibitive for an academic institution.

Like # people like this
Jacob Shepard
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2019

Hi @Todd Thomas 

Thank you for the feedback. We understand that Data Center is not for every organization and there are different reasons why organizations choose to move or not move to DC. Again, thank you for the feedback as we try to take all our of customers input into consideration.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events