Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello Dave, This is great that you are hosting this sort...

James Yoon August 10, 2021

Hello Dave,

This is great that you are hosting this sort of forum! 

Our team recently took on administration of our Atlassian cloud products and it was a bit of the wild wild west before where every one was a site admin.  You can only imagine how that turned out! 

One of the cleanup tasks we took on was to streamline spaces (Confluence) and projects (Jira Software) so that teams can self-organize and manage access to their respective resources.  It was previously decided to create groups for every project and space and permission users this way.  Unfortunately, since only site admins can view members of these groups, the team members and even the space/project admins had no way of knowing who had access.  We unraveled this and invited everyone individually except for the group (e.g., functional groups) that made sense.

Now that we did this, we were left with a lot of groups that are no longer being used for permissions.  Ultimately, we'd like to delete these groups but am a bit wary since these groups can be used in a number of other components (listed below) which made it difficult for us to just go and delete the group without knowing the impact it would have.

The problem we faced was that there was no reporting on where these groups are used.  For example, I couldn't lookup group "xyz" and know that it was being leveraged in a project role, permission scheme, 10 spaces and 5 projects.

I worked with your support engineers and indeed they confirmed that no such reporting existed so we as a team manually analyzed each and every one of the below to determine if a group marked for deletion was being used in any of the below.

• Project roles
  • Permission schemes
  • Notification schemes
  • Issue security schemes
  • Workflow conditions
  • Issue filter permissions
  • Dashboard permissions
  • Global Permissions
  • Custom Fields - For example if there are group pickers custom field configured and a value has been set.
  • Filter Subscriptions
  • Board Administrators 
  • Application Access 
  • Saved Filters content

Apologies for the essay. Do you know if any such reporting/analytics feature has been requested by other customers and if there were any plans to address this?

Thanks,

James

1 answer

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Dave Meyer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 3, 2021

Hey James,

I know you saw my answer on the AMA page, but just linking to it here for clarity https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Enterprise-Questions/Re-Re-AMA-Jira-and-Confluence-Cloud-Enterprise-with-Da/qaq-p/1788326/comment-id/40#M40

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events