Jira Developer - Airbnb

Joseph Pursel May 4, 2019

Hi Enterprise Community,

I'm Joe Pursel and I am a Jira Developer at Airbnb. I provide Jira and Confluence Systems Administration for our Airbnb Enterprise. We are currently migrating our Jira and Confluence Data Center instances to the current ER for both platforms. We use automation to build and deploy our upgrades using Chef and Jenkins.

I am eager to learn from other members and share my experiences about anything Atlassian Enterprise related.

I was a speaker at Summit 2019 in the Admin track and the title of my presentation is "Why I Built My Career on Atlassian Tools & Why You Should Too!". The link to watch my talk is on the Summit 2019 website and is in the Watch Sessions tab. The link to watch my session may be seen by clicking Watch Joe's session. Please share my session link with any Jira Admin or anyone seeking to build a career with Atlassian Tools.

I look forward to being an active participant in this community and please feel free to reach out to me at any time.

Joe

2 comments

Comment

brbojorque
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2019

Hi @Joseph Pursel , thanks for your awesome presentation. I am curious on how did you manage to deploy DC using Chef & Jenkins is there any chance that some of the code be opensource? And why Chef? Atlassian also provided AWS CloudFormation templates. 

Like Joseph Pursel likes this
Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2019

Hey Joseph,

I would be keen to share our experience in terms of what we’ve done to automate a lot of our infrastructure. We’re using AWS Systems Manager to bake base application specific AMIs, auto scaling groups to then spin those up and get signed to our Puppet Master which then handles the “last mile” configuration.

We have also invested significantly in custom development of custom add-ons (UI and rest APIs) that help expose information more efficiently than iterating through the standard APIs and a custom UI to help with management that consumes those APIs.

We’re not alone in the scale and size of our environment and I know others have built similar tooling, so definitely be great to share between each other and see what we have all done to help streamline our processes.

@brbojorque - my answer to your question about not using the atlassian  cloudformation templates is that we had an existing AWS infrastructure before the templates were released that top level mostly aligns, but would need to be completely redeployed to allow us to use theirs. 

CCM

Like # people like this
Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2019

Oh, @Joseph Pursel I forgot to ask - did you have any thoughts about how you’d want to interface with others for this initiative?

CCM

Like Joseph Pursel likes this
Hayley Romine
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 8, 2019

Great session, @Joseph PurselThanks for sharing!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events