Difference between Jira Work Management and Trello?

Daniella_Johnson August 26, 2021

My team is trying to decide between Jira Work Management and Trello to manage tasks and help requests but are struggling to find big differences between these two products. What are the main differences if any?

10 comments

Comment

Deleted user August 26, 2021

@Daniella_Johnson the same difference you have between a Harley Davidson motorbike and a Ferrari F-40... both are vehicles for transporting people. I'd let my friend  @Vero Rivas , who is an expert, answer that question. Then you'll have to see what you want to do exactly. Did you choose Trello because it's free in its initial version? Have you already tried JWM?

Like Vero Rivas likes this

We have not used Trello or Jira Work Management yet. Some teams at our company have used Jira Service Management, but we don't need as much of the ticketing capabilities. We are looking to manage our projects and the tasks within them, but have something like a form from slack or confluence plug into JWM or Trello as one of those tasks. 

Like Deleted user likes this
Brendan O Reilly August 26, 2021

I am also interested in this topic.

Trello seems much lighter weight and better suited to visualisation of unstructured or once off work.  The order in which tasks is completed for instance may be less relevant. Email is very heavily involved in communication.

JWM is more suited to actual work flows where the ownership and tasks need to be completed in a specific sequence and where that is a recurring piece of work - less email etc.

Like # people like this

This was helpful thank you! Because what we are looking for, having a designated email and then those plugging into Trello would work well for us. 

Like Deleted user likes this
Deleted user August 26, 2021

@Daniella_Johnson 

I agree with what  @Brendan O Reilly  told you. If you are looking for a streamlined tool, then use Trello. I didn't understand if you have tried Jira Service Management or if you are using it and would like to integrate it with Trello. If you want to try JWM instead, activate a cloud instance, it's free up to a certain number of users and you can get an idea.

Like bit2bit Americas likes this

I have not tried Jira Service Management yet- not trying to integrate that with Trello. 

Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2021

Hi @Daniella_Johnson 

Thanks for the detail @[deleted] 

I always say that first you have to be clear about what type of work you want to do so that you can then analyze the potential of the tools and see which one suits your needs, then obviously it is necessary to assess:
    + Costs
    + Accessibility (mobile application), if necessary
    + Number of users, etc.

Anyway if you need help together we will try to give you a hand and give you our humble opinion

Cheers

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2021

The other bit I would add to this... While JWM isn't as pretty as Trello, it is almost feature parity, allowing users to have the fully ad-hoc operation some of them desire. HOWEVER, if you are using JSW elsewhere, using JWM and team managed projects gets rid of a source of truth. I see many cases where I am still combatting this with users maintaining spreadsheets to rationalize JSW and <insert tool here> and/or adding custom fields in one or the other to manage said linkage.

If you go the JWM route, you can actually link the issues between JWM and JSW directly which gets rid of one rather manual and error prone step. Even better, when a user group on <insert tool here> outgrows it or decides that real process and control is a Good Thing, it may take little or even no effort to MOVE those issues into a JSW project including all their history and other goodness.

Like # people like this
Howard Eberhart
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2021

The kind of team you are a part of should also be taken into consideration.  Trello may fit a smaller team with a low volume of requests per week/month and are more visually oriented. Many business teams like Trello better because it fits into their style of working. 

Like # people like this
Kevin Tuei
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2021

To put the comments into context, it seems that your choice of the tool to adopt is around the people who will use them rather than choosing the tool then expecting people will get the hang of it.

Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 27, 2021

Thanks for the information on the differences.  Helps me!

Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 24, 2021

Thanks @Daniella_Johnson  for the great questions and others for sharing the insights about Trello and JWM.

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2022

Hi @Daniella_Johnson 

Have you been able to decide which tool to go with?

Let us know on what factors you chose the tool

Thanks

Daniella_Johnson February 1, 2022

Hi! My team decided to go with Jira Work Management because of the automations, components and more flexibility in the workflows and statuses, to be able to better sort and manage smaller projects within the overarching Project. It has worked great for our team, and we're in the process of getting all the teams in our company into JWM too! 

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 23, 2022

Good choice @Daniella_Johnson 

Darryl Lee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 16, 2022

To my knowledge, Jira Work Management is the business project of Jira Software Cloud.

It offers the streamlines template and retains the functionalities as Jira Software Cloud mainly for the business teams to manage their projects.

Trello, on the other hand, is a very flexible and powerful product to fit in many usage scenarios.

There are some similar features across these 2 products, but from my perspective, the main point to be concerned is the cross-product workflow while Jira Work Management is native with other Jira Software projects and Trello needs Add-ons to achieve.

Just my opinions. :) 

Like Yuly Buenahora likes this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2022

I know this discussion is old, but I found it very useful! I find Trello to have so many uses and it is one of Atlassian's most flexible products. I even use it for my persona TO DO and WANT TO DO lists! It also makes for a great BUCKET LIST tool!  

Sam Yeung August 28, 2022

We are also researching should we use Trello or Jira Work Management for our business team.

One KEY difference is DESKTOP App and Mobile App. Trello do offer desktop app but Jira Work Management not. This could be one of the key factor considering the productivity increase by having desktop app. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events