📢 Atlassian Data Lake EAP - have you heard?

Are you responsible for gathering insights from data, especially Jira data?

If you've integrated Jira with BI tools in the past, you know it's not always the easiest task. Atlassian's developing Data Lake to simplify this process, which is now available as an Early Access Preview (EAP).

On a Jira Software Premium or Enterprise plan? Consider signing up for the Data Lake EAP. You'll also need to have Tableau, Mulesoft, or one the BI tools listed in the EAP announcement.

To learn more and sign up for the EAP, see the article on Data Lake.

Anyone already using Data Lake, or interested in using it? Chime in with your thoughts here.

21 comments

Comment

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2021

That's interesting! I have never used Jira with any BI tools, but I would like to learn more about that. What could be a good start point?

Like • # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2021

@Taranjeet Singh - my default's eazyBI since it has a closer integration with Jira (on-prem and Cloud).

Data Lake itself includes integrations with major BI tools - what tools are your company and/or clients using? Hopefully there's an intersection between what's included and what's being used. :)

Like • Stuart Capel - London likes this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2021

@Dave Liao thanks for the info. I have mostly seen our clients using eazyBI. If it is already integrated well with Jira, what would Data Lake provide in case of eazyBI?

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2021

@Taranjeet Singh - I'll let you know as soon as I play with Data Lake! 😉

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2021

p.s. I'm curious how permissions are exactly handled in Data Lake (Atlassian's already mentioned their permission model in the EAP article), and the performance of the data loads.

For particularly large Jira Cloud instances, how long does it take to load data into Data Lake?

Stuart Capel - London
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 1, 2021

I've signed up for access and had a confirmation email back today - just waiting for access to see what it's all about!

I'll be interested to see how it integrates with Qlik Sense and Power BI.

Like • Dave Liao likes this
Renee Zhang
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 1, 2021

@Dave Liao @Taranjeet Singh Thanks Dave for sharing our data lake early access program in the group! We are excited to be launching soon. One point of clarification I'd like to make, unfortunately EazyBI will not be compatible with our data lake as our lake only supports tools compatible with Spark JDBC over HTTP. 

On another note, we will be provisioning the sandbox instance so that all community leaders can play around with our lake. We will be in touch once that occurs!  

Deleted user February 1, 2021

@Renee Zhang I already have my own instance with eazyBI on my personal Atlassian cloud account, I don't want to create problems with data lake, so the sandbox will be a different instance, can you confirm ?

Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 1, 2021

Hi @Dave Liao 

But will this Data Lake help further empower data collection and reporting?

Cheers

Like • Deleted user likes this
Raimonds Simanovskis February 2, 2021

Here is Raimonds from eazyBI and I noticed that there were some comments about eazyBI.

We will investigate the Data Lake if we can use it to make data synchronization from Jira to eazyBI faster. Currently, we use Jira issue search REST API which is limited to a batch size of 100 issues, and therefore synchronization of a large number of issues might take a longer time.

Initially, it seems that Data Lake will provide just a limited set of Jira data and therefore we will still need to use Jira REST API to get all the Jira data as well as data from supported Jira Cloud apps. But probably at some point, we will use a hybrid approach.

The main difference between eazyBI and other standard BI tools is that we provide a standard analytical multi-dimensional data schema with many predefined dimensions, measures, calculations, sample reports for most typical Jira data analytical needs. In the case of standard BI tools, you will need to create that by yourself.

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2021

@Vero Rivas - I presume so, from what I'm reading about Data Lake. It should speed up Jira data loads for certain BI tool users.

@Renee Zhang - thanks for the clarification! I noticed eazyBI wasn't in the initial list of supported BI tools, hope that changes eventually.

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2021

Thanks @Renee Zhang for the updates! 

A sandbox for Data Lake is a great idea, and I will look forward to seeing it in action.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2021

Thanks for this information.  That is a great feature and is another great reason to move to the cloud offering.  

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2021

Thanks for sharing this update @Dave Liao 

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2021

Very interesting, we are planning to move to Cloud from Data Center at the end of the year. We will need to make decisions about our eazyBI solution when migrating. EazyBI is a great tool but is not heavily used.

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2021

@Tom Lister - FYI, eazyBI supports Jira Cloud, and Atlassian Data Lake isn't a BI tool itself. Cheers!

Raimonds Simanovskis March 8, 2021

@Tom Lister eazyBI is available both for Server / Data Center and for Cloud and it has the same functionality on both platforms. We provide a migration functionality for all your created eazyBI accounts, reports, and dashboards from Server / Data Center to Cloud https://docs.eazybi.com/eazybijira/set-up-and-administer/set-up-and-administer-for-jira-server/database-migration

If you will need any assistance with migrating eazyBI from Data Center to Cloud then please contact our support and we will help.

Pedro Felgueiras
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2021

It would be so much nice if it was available for Data Center version !!! 

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2021

@Pedro Felgueiras - right?

Jira 8.16 just came out, and it does come with a data pipeline export feature now...

Like • Pedro Felgueiras likes this
Chilla Sridhar May 2, 2022

is Atlassian Data lake still in the roadmap or dropped ? I am interested how it integrates with Tableau BI .

I see conflicting updates on Data Lake feature (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-articles/Introducing-Atlassian-Data-Lake-for-Jira-Software-Early-Access/ba-p/1584438)

Anna Odrynska - Alpha Serve
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2022

Hi  @Chilla Sridhar ,

It seems to be live.

"Atlassian Analytics and Data Lake are now available through an Early Access Program for current customers of the Cloud Enterprise edition of Jira Software or Jira Service Management" - as written here:  https://www.atlassian.com/blog/announcements/atlassian-analytics

In case this will not work for you at the moment, you can consider apps for Jira Tableau integration (like our connector as an example). 

Cheers,

Anna 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events