JIRA Best Practice & Workflows To Support Documentation/Education Activities.

Frank Frank December 7, 2011

Hi JIRA Users...

Was wondering if anyone out there has thoughts on JIRA practices/strategy to help support documentation and education activities...

* It's often difficult to get developers to enter 'useful' / grammatically correct description of how changes will impact end user workflows and UI...

* Forcing review/entry of such information too early in the workflow or at the wrong points can often pester/interfere with development; often Business Analysts may be in a better position to provide some of this information - that could be leveraged for training/documentation purposes...

Does any know of case-studies, plugins, resources, articles etc. that discuess how JIRA can be used to help support (by automating the collection of information) documentation and training teams - which need to be aware of soon to be released changes ?

I'm trying to understand what has been tried before and avoid the pitfalls that others may have already navigated ?

Hope to hear from someone...

Thanks

Frank

PS

Some of my ideas:
* Push collection of such info. to code review time (Developers in right frame of reference ?) - Crucible ?

* Collect some of this information at early plannning/scheduling stages ?

* Leverage non-development resources... trainers to follow-up ? business analysts ?

Any real-world experience - war stories out there ?

4 comments

Comment

Frank Frank July 11, 2012

We ended up rolling our own integration between the JIRA database JDBC connection - and Confluence.

Our utility produces audit-history info. for issues that have been removed from a given release - or newly-added/snuck-in at tail-end - in order to give our writing/education teams visibility.

Back to front:

BMO<=>DAO<=>SERVICE<=> UI

MySQL=>JDBC=>MyBatis=>ConfluenceSOAP/RPC

=> XStream/XML for audithistory

History meta-data is tracked as XML attachment between builds.

Each night - (utility is integrated into nightly-build) - the Confluence content is regenerated - based on the latest info. from JIRA.

Pre/Post pages - which are NOT regenerated each night - allow users to add information, images, etc. to content being extracted from JIRA.

At end of development cycle - a 'deployment' phase - gathers all the pages including their respective pre/post page amendments - and flatens into a single document for distribution...

We export this doc. to PDF.

* The one main lesson learned is to export all JIRA issues - as Confluence "asset" fragments....These "fragments" are tagged accordingly (sometimes with active/ignore etc.) and assembled into any number of summary pages/views we have...

* Also - Confluence could use better identity control for documents. Within a given "space" title is the only thing that drives uniqueness of documents. So - for example - two documents with different parents MUST have different titles - even if their parentsIDs are different ? Too bad... it makes lookup of pages easier in some respects though. We work around conflicts by careful naming conventions: Release:Environemt:Component:SubComponent:Asset

We're hoping - the collaboration - that takes place around the pages much earlier in the process now... produces better documentation in the end, with fewer bottle-necks...

Writers/Educators now get a glimpse of scope of change associated with each release - long before the final flattened "good-copy" document is deployed... everyone participates sooner - better visibility, more time to customize documentation and training - prior to release...

Hope that helps someone...

Cheers

Глеб April 30, 2023

Hello, I would like to share my experience with taxis in Greece. I've tried many different services, but everywhere has its drawbacks: either the music I don't like is blaring at full volume, or the driver is unfriendly, or there are other incidents. But recently I found a great taxi that suits me perfectly. Here is the page of this service: taxi Thessaloniki Sani . You can book without prepayment, fixed prices, and they will help you with your luggage and wait for you at the airport for free. It's convenient, affordable, safe, and fast. So why not take advantage of it?

William Ally July 17, 2023

Hi, I might want to impart my experience to taxis in Greece. I've attempted various administrations, yet wherever has its disadvantages: either the music I could do without is blasting at full volume, or the driver is hostile, or there are different occurrences. Yet, as of late I found an extraordinary taxi that suits me impeccably. Here is the page of this help: Mod APK . You can book without prepayment, fixed costs, and they will assist you with your gear and sit tight for you at the air terminal for nothing. It's helpful, reasonable, safe, and quick. So why not exploit it?

Smith Jhone
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 4, 2024

Hi Frank,

Consider exploring JIRA plugins like Confluence or Insight for seamless integration with documentation. Utilizing non-developer resources like business analysts for early information collection can enhance communication. Regarding "Book taxi," it's essential to integrate a reliable and user-friendly taxi booking system for efficient transportation solutions.

Superman Man
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 20, 2024

Consider investigating JIRA modules like Conversion or Knowledge for consistent combination with documentation. Using non-designer assets like business experts for early data assortment can upgrade correspondence. Concerning "taxi," it's fundamental to incorporate a dependable and easy to use Luxury car booking framework for productive transportation arrangements.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events