How has COVID-19 impacted your job?

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 10, 2020

Hello, Educators!

Phewf, where to start. It's hard to overstate just how much this pandemic has rocked education. I know there are SO many changes that schools of all kind are making so that they can continue educating. 

Please share a little bit on this thread about how has COVID-19 changed your role/projects? How are you using Atlassian tools to help manage these changes?

I'm hoping here that we can learn from each other's use cases! 

Cheers,

Bridget

6 comments

Comment

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2020

I'm not working in education myself (ok in company and with university) but I have an interesting story

My sister works as a teacher for maths and sports in Gymnasium (German High School and College I think) - before Easter holidays in March all schools had lockdown and from one day to another all kids and teachers had to stay home.

My sis was really desperate - but she had really good ideas!

She started using Trello to visualize her schedule ideas and make them available for the kids. This did work out great especially when the free upgrade for education in april came out.

Videos and short instructions for sports made it possible to make sports available also for younger ones came out (Some problems are still with data security... but well thats germany) 🤸‍♀️🏋️‍♀️⛹️‍♂️

Now she says her life is so much easier with Trello and during summer holidays she collects and organizes her ideas also for math. 😁

Like Bridget likes this
Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 11, 2020

@Fabienne Gerhard , thank you so much for sharing your sister's story!! I'm happy to hear that her school acted quickly and shut down from day one ... but also I can imagine how jolting that would be for teachers who then had to quickly come up with how they're going to teach remotely. 

Very cool use case for Trello!! I can imagine that kids would like the tool because it's so visual and easy to digest. What kind of sports did your sister make videos about? So creative :). 

Hope she is enjoying her summer holidays as all teachers should (to the best of her ability). 

Cheers,

Bridget

Luke Carr September 18, 2020

I'm in a bit of a peculiar situation because my job was created directly as a result of COVID-19. I'm 19 years old and have just started my first full-time job as a Digital Learning Engineer for my former secondary school (UK). Before COVID, I was toying with the idea of going to university, having just completed A-Levels at college, but I got a phone call from my old Computer Science teacher (now assistant headteacher) asking how quickly I could start.

Now I find myself in a role that is identical to the ones I would have been applying for after 4 years at university but without any student debt.

As I'm the first (and only) digital learning engineer at the school, I've sort of taken on the role of leading the e-learning efforts across all subjects.

One of my first decisions was to fully embrace a huge range of Atlassian products in the workplace. We're using Jira Software for tracking issues and tasks across our e-learning software projects, Jira Service Desk to provide support for staff and students within the school, Statuspage for communicating incidents relating to our e-learning platforms, Confluence for knowledge bases, and Bitbucket for our proprietary platforms' Git repos. All of this has been established in just under a week, and so far the response has been superb. Over time, it'll be really insightful to look back and see how things such as productivity and support request response time have improved.

As for a favourite product, it definitely has to be Confluence. Being able to create organised knowledge bases for the different e-learning platforms that we use (both first and third party) has been invaluable to inform teaching staff of what's going on in the e-learning space. And when the time comes to recruit and expand the digital learning team (that I'm currently the sole resident of), these documents will prove extremely useful in the onboarding process. Right now, the vast majority of our e-learning platforms are third-party, but as we start to develop more proprietary systems, the demand for knowledge organisation will increase exponentially. Confluence will definitely be able to help us manage this rapid increase in demand when it happens.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 21, 2020

It has really stayed the same for me.  I have always worked from home a lot and I spend my free time in the outdoors.  The difference for me now is the kids are home more, which has been great and there are a LOT more people in the outdoors.

Joseph Gillian December 9, 2020

It didn't affect my work in any way, since I do a lot of things remotely. But it influenced the lives of some of my friends and acquaintances quite strongly. Especially those who work in the service sector. I think you know what it's going on in this sphere now

Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2020

Covid-19 impacted me a lot but in a positive way. I always wanted to do work from home so that I can arrange some time for my other activities and Covid-19 has given me this opportunity :) hahaha

I spend my free time to prepare my YouTube Video Content here is playlist for Jira Software. I read books for my personal growth and started workout for my better health.

Dax Howard September 25, 2021

I worked online before the pandemic, so there hasn't really been a big change. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events