Atlassian announcement

Stacey E. Kimmel-Smith October 18, 2020

Hi all,

I'm wondering if those of you on the local server option have received the news that it will be phased out. The wording of the announcement is confusing to me. 

Is Atlassian ending its academic pricing option? The phrase in the email is that academic pricing will be "adjusted accordingly." I don't know what that means.

Any thoughts or observations on this announcement? Questions?

Stacey

3 comments

Comment

Magic Mike
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2020

Hi Stacey,

It can sound really sudden but it has been a long process. Atlassian has announced to focus their priority on the Cloud since Summit 2019.

Existing Server licenses will be supported until 2024. So you still have time to either move to cloud or datacenter (which is an enterprise version of server).

Regarding Academic prices I am not sure, I guess since the price will change in Feb 2021. Your academic price will be then 50% of the new prices or still free for Non profit.

Hope this help,

Best regards,

Mike

Like # people like this
Stacey E. Kimmel-Smith October 19, 2020

Yes, I have been following the trends and communications and while they did *not* communicate they were considering or intending to drop local server options, it is a direction many companies are going. We purchased Jira and JSD in 2018, prior to the first of several dramatic price increases. The sticker shock to us, even with academic pricing, is significant.  

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2020

Hi @Stacey E. Kimmel-Smith ,

I am following up on the answer posted by @Magic Mike  to clarify the current state of the licenses regarding Academic prices, and I mentioned this yesterday on the Feedback thread "Answering your questions on changes to server and Data Center"  for a few others asking a similar question, and I am making sure to repost the information here so you get all the details as well.  But please do drop a comment on that thread with any additional feedback you have.

Overall, the Community and Academic licensing changes are still being finalized for the shift to either Cloud or Data Center, and we will have more info coming soon. With a reminder that the current Community and Academic Server license model will still be maintained and be valid for the next three years.

Please see my previous comment here:

Currently, the pricing model for Community and Academic licensing is being applied to the cloud offering and detailed further in the following thread and announcement:

However, we are in the process of actively exploring a better offering for non-profits and we will come back to this talking point with an update in the very near future.  In the meantime, feel free to take full advantage of the community server licenses which aren’t going anywhere anytime soon.

Regards,
Earl

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events