cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access user management

Jack Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2022

Hello again,

In setting up Atlassian Access, we are learning that to do this we have to claim all of the email addresses in our domain in order to configure SSO. But our department Cloud instance will be for less than 1% of the total email address accounts. We realize that there are a handful of other departments at our institution who are Atlassian customers too. Plus there are a lot of Trello users who may be small groups in a department using its free tier. And there are alumni using their email address for personal/professional projects they have set up on Atlassian Cloud.

Has anyone else set up Access with SSO and run into this issue who could share how much extra "administration" you have to do for accounts that are not in your billable users? I've been asked to try to identify what additional workload I might have as an administrator if I have to "manage" users outside of our department.

Thanks,

Jack

1 comment

Comment

Dave Long May 12, 2022

Hi Jack, 

The University of Iowa is also curious this question, we've been asking our contact at Atlassian, but haven't gotten a clear answer as to how this part works.  Universities often have less strict oversight / rules on how and where users can use their university email address, which results in people using them all over the place.  Iowa's JIRA admin ran into the same problem a few years ago when exploring moving JIRA to the cloud. 

Our Atlassian rep did think they could run a report of all users with my.atlassain.com accounts that have @uiowa.edu in their email address, that would help give us a sense of scope.

From there though, I still have questions about how the provisioning, deprovisioning, and re-provisioning of accounts will work in Atlassian Access.  Curious to hear other's thoughts. 

Thanks!

-Dave

Jack Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2022

Hi Dave,

I was able to export all the 12K+ Virginia.EDU domain email address related Atlassian accounts via the Access domain claim process without having to claim the accounts. The very first step offers an export feature and then I cancelled the claiming process. That resulting file provides names, status, what Atlassian resources they are using, last activity, etc. It was helpful for me to determine that the majority of people with accounts are using Trello.

Right now the claim is for all people in the domain. Our Atlassian Solutions Engineer did mention that Atlassian is working on a change to the Access domain claim to allow you to claim a subset of an email domain's accounts. But the timeframe on that is not soon enough for us.

Thanks,

Jack

Like Dave Long likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events