Your thoughts?

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 4, 2019

Good Day,

What do you like about the picture below? What is the one detail that the Atlassian Marketing Team didn't miss while putting this picture together?

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 7.51.38 PM.png

3 comments

Comment

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 4, 2019

This picture is fascinating. It does not reflect any group of 12 people I have ever seen in real life but there are certainly a lot of diversity checkboxes covered.

It is a pity that diversity of thought cannot be captured visually. 

Like Fadoua likes this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2019

@Kat Warner  I love the picture because few are the companies who include a headscarfed woman. As one of them, I never ever see it anywhere. Atlassian is adding women with hijab to their learning videos, Community Pictures, and giving the opportunity to us to collaborate without any discrimination. I won't be able to dress the list of opportunities given to me by Atlassian and I am sure it is the same for other people with different beliefs and choices in life.

I worked for a company in Chicago (Gogo) where Upper Management approved a bathroom for Muslims to do their ablutions and dedicated a room to perform our prayers.

I really hope lot of companies will follow their footsteps. 

Best,

Fadoua

Like # people like this
Darlene Ashleigh Jeter July 7, 2019

All inclusive, but not representative of corporate culture today.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2019

I try to treat others how I want to be treated. So, I think the biggest rule for me with "inclusivity" is don't be a jerk.

However, I do find that I there is a part of me that feels like trying to represent everyone in ads/movies/tv shows/books/etc is somewhat futile and possibly even somewhat harmful. When a group of people statistically doesn't form a significant percentage of the population, but we push the idea that they are being marginalized if they are not "represented" I wonder about the psychological impact of that is. Do we have people thinking "I'm not valued because I'm not represented." I guess I just feel like we can, and tend to, go overboard with things related to political correctness and inclusivity.

Like # people like this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2019

@Davin Studer  I won't say that I feel not valued if I am not "represented". We all know that Marketing is every company's mirror. When they start advertising for their company with people from all races, religions, colors,.....it shows you that the company is not stereotyping. I am not saying there won't be anyone within the company against our beliefs, sexual orientations,.....however you feel some difference. Sometimes it encourages you to apply with them if opportunity presents.

There are lot of retail clothing stores for kids. Couple months ago I was walking in the mall when I saw one of the stores advertising for their new collection with kids from all backgrounds(one of them was wearing the hijab). You may think well it is all marketing and I will say yes but at least they took time to think about all their "potential" customers not the same ones we see on the Ads every time. I remember few years ago there was a debate over barbies (always blonde) then companies started making African American barbies.

Thank you for taking time to share your point of view!

Best,

Fadoua

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events