Why are we still lacking so much diversity??

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2018

Diversity.jpg

I recently read through these really interesting news pieces, well worth a read for the positive vibes:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-45155827

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45154897

I constantly come across articles like this in the news channels... and it makes me think:

If we are sooooo advanced in our medical, industrial and technological evolutions, why are we STILL so dis-functional as a species - especially when it comes to diversity & inclusion!?

Seems to me that this great species known as "man" (great inclusion right there - not!) could do with a new phase of evolution. 

Any interest takes or thoughts on above question?

2 comments

Comment

Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2018

I think we are still in the stone age of diversity and inclusion because some of us have our foot in the door while others don't. It's important that our families, communities, and organizations leaders walk the walk. If we aren't inclusive in our leadership, our employees and even our clients, it's hard to push a topic that isn't truly being enforced. I'm certain that this generation is headed towards being more inclusive, while they aren't the ones in charge, I'm hopeful that when it's their time, they will make the correct decision. 

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 28, 2018

Diversity is more than what is visually obvious. 

"Diverse thinking can leverage off diversity, but demographic diversity is only one predictor of diverse thinking capability. There are many others that are not tied to gender or ethnicity or age or any other demographic factor. We need to remove the simplistic stereotypes around diverse thinking that assume all women and ethnic directors are diverse thinkers and all Anglo-Saxon men are not,"

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12110315

Linette
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 3, 2018

Ha, yeah it's not necessarily about 'being a diverse thinker' i.e women have a magical brain that comes up with amazing and unknowable things, but more having people with differing life experience. I think the only reason this association is made is that Anglo-Saxon Middle class male is generally presumed to be the default setting, everything else is 'diverse'. If there were an all female board, it would benefit from bringing the diversity of male experience to the table.

Humans tend to gravitate towards similar people, and it can be hard to jump out of that rut, but jump we must if we want to come up with great solutions to difficult problems

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 4, 2018

@Linette: That last sentence. So nicely put!

@Kat Warner : What an interesting article. If I think about, there must be quite a lot of Anglo-Saxon males who are diverse thinkers... otherwise the "rest" would never have had a say.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events