What's your open story?

Claire Cook
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2018

Hey all! I'm Claire and I work on the Atlassian Editorial Team. We're gathering stories about transparency, alignment, and openness in the workplace and are hoping to share them at Summit! 

Here are three examples:

• Ways of working – Teams that create natural invitations to connect, to start dialogues, to share ideas, making knowledge more accessible within and across teams.
  • Ways of thinking – Teams where alternative viewpoints are welcome, and teammates are encouraged to challenge assumptions. When we create safe environments and let creative conflict thrive, ideas can come from anywhere and we tap into the creative genius of the entire team.
  • Ways of being – Teams that empower everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. They create space for individuals to bring their true selves to work, and opportunities for everyone’s unique opinions and voices to be heard.

Do you have a story you'd like to share? Comment below!

4 comments

Comment

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 9, 2018

This topic has a lot of views especially for a thread with no replies. I find this intriguing. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 3.28.48 PM.png

da segal October 13, 2018

Hi Claire. I like this question a lot.

I work for a software development company where every employee is required to fill out a timesheet. It is also a company that lacks transparency and open communication. For example, I don't know what teams outside of my own are working on. 

To try and fix this problem, I created an app that pulls data from boring timesheet reports and inserts it into a visual instagram-type feed. It also has profiles where you can update what you are 'reading', 'watching' or 'listening to'. 

Employees quite like the app and it has resulted in more productive water cooler chats. I aim to add JIRA tasks and InVision designs in the next phase.

Regards,

Dan 

Claire Cook
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 15, 2018

@da segal this is so awesome! I'd love to connect to learn more about the app! What's the best way to reach you?

da segal October 15, 2018

Thanks Claire :) You can reach me at danielsegal@outlook.com

Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2018

Hi @Claire Cook,

I think one of the many things that make my company awesome, is the ability to come to work as you are. Whether it's in a T-shirt, with your kid or via video conference, we all trust that our peers will take care of their work accordingly. Our trust is built from our transparency. The transparency between each other regardless of seniority or expertise is what makes us stronger. We recognize that even the smartest person in the room can fall short and our front line is stronger together. Internally we are continuously working on our process. We come together and anyone is able to express a concern, propose a modification or even bring up a new idea. I find that this is the time where we grow the most and become more valuable to each other and to our clients. 

Claire Cook
Atlassian Team
October 23, 2018

Thanks for sharing @Mary Ramirez! I'd love to connect to hear more of your story. Is there an email I can use to schedule time?

Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2018

Sure, my email is mary.ramirez@isostech.com and you can access my calendar here if you'd like to video chat.

Aaron Williams
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2018

Hey @Claire Cook,

I am fighting my hardest to get others around me at work to open up. Since attending Summit in Barcelona, the following things have happened:

• I've started a Personal confluence space in our instance
    • I wrote a blogpost about Summit and the culture of 'Open Working', which I anonymised and shared to my wordpress the same day
      • I shared this to my HR director, who asked me to share it to our Culture director, who was very interested in adapting the culture to our ways
    • I invited my teammates and manager to follow my space (so now they get all the notifications!)
    • I started putting all of my meeting notes in there, even the ones from my super private 'development talks' that my manager and I have every month
      • This led directly to an opportunity with someone else in my department who invited me to work on a project with him after seeing how keen I was to get more involved...
    • I invited my teammates to start their own confluence spaces and follow my example
      • We even all (well, most of us) wrote a blog post entitled 'A day in the life of...' intended to be an insight into how each of us tackle their day, and an insight into how each of us present ourselves (freedom of expression, isn't it wonderful?)
  • I've made my work calendar 'public' so now anyone who wishes to do so can see my schedule, and are free to ask about the events or meetings I'm having (and of course, as above, can view the associated meeting notes)
    • This has led to a reduced feeling of 'who is watching me' as I no longer worry about who can see what from my calendar; it's all public and there is nothing to hide!
    • I was prompted to do this when our new Agile Coach mentioned that she had just made the leap, and I was inspired to follow along!

In particular, I want to talk about the importance (to me) of the blogging and recording of meeting notes. The person who invited me to participate in the project I mentioned was only able to connect the dots and throw out the rope after I started to blog and share my interests, feelings, and learnings. When I started to share my meeting notes, and more specifically when I wrote down (relating to the use of my degree in my work) "Feel that there has been zero opportunity to put those into practise in the projects and discussions taking place in our department in the past year and more", this prompted him to immediately reach out to me and work together on something he had cooking.

If I had to wrap this all up in a tl;dr?

After being inspired at Summit and adopting an Open Working culture in my own way of working, I found that others around me started to listen to what I had to say and it granted me greater opportunities in no time at all.

Claire Cook
Atlassian Team
November 1, 2018

Thanks for sharing! What's the best email to reach you on?

Aaron Williams
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 2, 2018

Hey @Claire Cook, I'm a wee bit wary of putting an email out on a forum where it's not so difficult for someone to find - I've just signed up for a new email address to reduce spam and get a fresh inbox!

Is there another way I can share it with you? There's no direct message feature in community that I can use, I think..

Claire Cook
Atlassian Team
November 2, 2018

email me at ccook@atlassian.com

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events