Was it really bad?

Good day everyone,

Now that 2020 is over, when you look back was it really 100% a bad year beside the pandemic?

Don't you feel like:

• You learned some new skills?
  • You had more time with your loved ones?
  • You got to enjoy things that you never used to?
  • You started to take a good care of your health to avoid getting sick(like cooking more often)?

I personally don't think that the pandemic was a bad thing, people survived pandemics before and had less, far less than everything we have today.

Take time please and share with us all the positive things you learned, exams you passed, new job you landed,.... during 2020.

Best,

Fadoua

New Skills.jpg

8 comments

Comment

Colin McDermott_GLiNTECH February 2, 2021

Personally it was one of my best years. 

I got to walk my child to daycare (when it was open). 

I learned how to cook Chinese and Thai, Chinese cuisine is truly under-estimated I believe as it can reach some real heights in favour. Sadly most people in Australia know it as low budget takeaway food because the westernization of most dishes. Authentic Chinese is dreamy. 

I also got a lot of certifications that I had not in earlier years. 6 in one year. 

Like # people like this
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2021

I think for those of us who are lucky/blessed enough to be able to work from home, or in a relatively empty office, away from crowds, away from infection, yes, the pandemic wasn't awful.

But I think it's incredibly important to acknowledge that the people who aren't so lucky or blessed are making it possible for us (or me at least, to be so comfortable);

• The mailman, UPS, FedEx, Amazon (omigod so much Amazon), DoorDash, UberEats and other delivery folks who are saving me from having to shop in person or pick up anything.
  • The restaurant workers and owners who are still cranking out meals to-go while trying their best to not go lose their jobs/go out of business because the indoor dining restrictions/decreased numbers of people eating out.
  • Grocery store workers.
  • Election workers.
  • Frontline medical workers - the doctors, the nurses, the PAs.
  • Backline medical workers - the custodial, maintenance, IT (!) staff for hospitals.

These people don't have the luxury of staying away from crowds, putting their lives, their livelihoods, and their families at risk.

Oh and who else didn't have it so great last year?

• Teachers.
  • Students.

So for me, was it that bad? No. But I can't help but want to shout out WE ARE THE LUCKY ONES.

It's pretty damn awful for everyone else.

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer. Oh yeah, I got two certs too. Yay. :-/

P.S. Oh, yeah, nota bene - I'm in the US, where our coronavirus response was... lacking.

P.P.S. ESPECIALLY in a Diversity and Inclusion group, I think it's important to point out that the overwhelming majority of people I mentioned above are BIPOC.

Like # people like this
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2021

Hi @Fadoua 

For me it was not so bad, I could spend more time at home, with my family, spend more time with my daughter and enjoy a little more the company of my family.

It is true that the lack of freedom frustrated me a bit at first but it is all a matter of adaptation.
Personally, it was a very fruitful year, I was able to finish many specialization courses and finish a master's degree.

I think that despite everything it was a good year

Cheers

Like Fadoua likes this
Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2021

My first son was born in 2020! 

Like # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2021

You are so right with this approach @Fadoua!

For me, 2020 was full of changes, and none of them resulted from the pandemic. The way I live is so structured and adaptive, and it's not easily bothered by changes. I enjoy each day I'm alive, healthy, and productive.

It's interesting to see how the world and people change, how their values and habits change (hope in a better way!). 

And I'm 100% on what @Darryl Lee says; we are blessed to work from the comfort of our homes and empty office spaces, and we should strive to support all the people who are keeping our backs safe.

Like Fadoua likes this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2021

Congrats @Kristin Lyons !

Like Kristin Lyons likes this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2021

Thanks guys, I enjoyed reading each one's comments!

Pedro Silva May 19, 2021

Thanks for sharing @Fadoua 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events