Topic Tuesday: Supporting our Nations Heroes

Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2019

Happy Tuesday everyone! 

To all of our veterans in the Atlassian community, thank you for your service! I myself am a veteran and I have a special place in my heart for my brothers and sisters in arms. Many times, people look at veterans as strong individuals. But veterans are humans at the end of the day and have internal struggles like the rest us. 

A veteran transitioning from the service to the "civilian" life can be quite difficult. The change of operations, people, lifestyle and even picking out what to wear can be so overwhelming. Not to mention, many veterans struggle to find a job. 

So I pose these questions to the community:

• What are some ways we can help veterans transition into our organization?
  • Do you know of any local resources that assist veterans?
  • Are there any companies out there that have military clubs/guilds?
  • If you're a veteran or have a family/friend who is, post a pic below!

**5 comments below and I will post a picture of myself :) 

6 comments

Comment

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2019

I was not able to serve, although I tried. A medical condition disqualified me. But...there are several in my family that served. I have a brother and a cousin that were in the Navy, another brother that was an Army Ranger, a cousin in the Ohio National Guard, a nephew that is an MP in the air force, and a few more.

My grandfather served in the Navy in WW2, was at Pearl Harbor, drove a landing craft at Guadalcanal, and was, at some point during the war, after dropping the Marines off during a fight, had the engine on his boat destroyed and was adrift at sea with the landing craft crew for over a week before they were picked up. 

I'm very proud of them all.

IMG_5950.JPG

Like # people like this
Jan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2019

Thank you for your service Mary! In answer to one of your questions, I would say most towns have an American Legion or perhaps VA facilities within driving distance.  My father and two uncle are veterans both having served in the U.S Air Force.  I have cousins that have served/are serving in the US Army. Cousins that have served in the US Navy. One of my uncles worked, after retirement from the Air Force, at the Veteran Affairs (VA). He advocated for veterans and their benefits, counseled them during their transitions (or other personal issues they may have had). My uncle and father are both members of the American legion. I was surprised at the amount of veterans who do not take advantage of the benefits that are available to them. Perhaps they simply are unaware of these options or perhaps they just would prefer not to take advantage of them.

Like # people like this
edwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2019

It's sad seeing vets on the corner with signs, after serving the country.

Like # people like this
BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2019

I've often thought of this. I wish I knew of more organizations that helped. I often hear about how our VA offices are understaffed and/or underfunded, especially with medical care and mental health - are there any organizations you recommend? 

Like # people like this
Thad West January 24, 2019

Thank you Mary!  I have to add a picture of my brother, he is career Army and all around a pretty good guy!  He's the one on the left...

1000w_q95.jpg

Like # people like this
Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 25, 2019

Thank you to everyone for participating!

As promised here are a few pictures. The picture below, I am in the middle with my co-workers in beautiful South Korea.

fullsizeoutput_4.jpeg

This image below, not sure why it's sideways! It's more recent and in our new uniform. Here I had the pleasure of hosting "Bring a Veteran to School" day. 

IMG_3623.JPG

A cool organization I came across is called Vets in Tech https://vetsintech.co/. They have meetups across the US and have great opportunities for Vets to gain employment with top-notch tech companies. 

Like # people like this
BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 25, 2019

Great photos @Mary Ramirez! I'll share the Vets in Tech with my brother in law - I've been trying to convince him to join us after he gets out haha

Like Mary Ramirez likes this
Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 25, 2019

@BiancaE haha! I totally understand. I try to convince my Army friends all the time. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events