Topic-Tuesday: Signs of Caring

Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2018

We've all been a position where we are the new person in the department. Or we've had a bad streak of unfortunate events. Trying to handle all of these emotions while staying focused at work can be difficult. But having a co-worker lift your spirits can be the reason why you enjoy going to work. What are some things you do, to lighten the day at work?

For me, I've called a "lunch pow-wow" in my department. I recognized how hard everyone's been working and realized we need to fit in some "fun" here and there. I believe that a small team builder or gathering can reset the mood in the workplace.

I'd love to hear about your experiences! 

1 comment

Comment

Deleted user November 6, 2018

Great topic!  It's good to remind us that we can make a difference in someone else's life simply by being thoughtful.

1. I keep a candy jar at my desk that’s open to everyone. Sometimes I bring it to meetings.  Sometimes I just take a couple of pieces with me when I go to talk to someone at their desk.
  2. If I hear someone mention a topic that’s important to them, I try to remember, and then forward links if I find something new that is related.
  3. When I respond to an email (that doesn’t require a certain degree of professionalism), I sometimes include a picture to brighten their day. If I know they’re being pulled in a dozen different directions, I might do a quick Google search “pulled in different directions”, click images, and copy an amusing one into my email.
  4. If someone gave a great presentation or solved a tricky problem, I like to send a quick email to say “I really appreciated the great job you did on X” and then say why.  Someone did that for me early in my career and I never forgot what a pleasant surprise it was and how it made me feel.

I'm looking forward to seeing what others do that I can "steal".  

Image result for steal idea

Like # people like this
Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2018

Thank you for sharing @[deleted]! I think those are great actions on your behalf. I am a huge fan of pictures or giph's that lighten up the mood. Sometimes a picture speaks more then I can. 

Like Deleted user likes this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 7, 2018

Wow - what great ideas/habits you have there. Also what amazing willpower if you can have a lolly jar on your desk.

Linette
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2018

Loving this thread so far.

I remember when I worked on a high pressure tech support team, one our manager made arrangements for another team to cover the queue for 30 mins extra and just took us all out for coffee in a local cafe.

It was so unexpected to get 30mins off, and a free coffee, it felt so much more precious than you might expect!

Like # people like this
Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 7, 2018

@Linette, that's super sweet! It's nice to step back and relax. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events