Topic Tuesday: Open Workplace Designs

Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2018

google-offices-in-canada1-e1530883401388.jpg

Happy Tuesday everyone! 

A before and after study led by a Harvard Business professor challenges the idea that open workplace designs lead to more collaboration. So I ask the group, what are your thoughts? 

I've seen cool offices with couches, phone booth room with 70's wallpaper and sections that mirror diner-style booths. I also love seeing rooms dedicated to mothers breastfeeding and entry doors accessible for people in wheelchairs. Can diversity and inclusion even be included in workplace designs?

Please share your ideas and even pics of workplaces you've seen or would like to see!

4 comments

Comment

Deleted user December 12, 2018
Hi ,
I recently listened to a Feakonomics podcast around open work spaces in relation to staff performance. I agree with the issue that open work spaces reduce open communication and reduce transparency amongst teams, alternative channels of communication are utilised though I think personally this slows down information dissemination.
Cheers
Like # people like this
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2018

I enjoy tables that have the look and feel of a cafe- a nice change of pace. For me, having a diverse team means there will be introverts and extroverts. Give the introverts a tiny place to hide, even if it's in plain sight, and more people will be happy with open floor plans.

Is this a rhetorical question? "Can diversity and inclusion even be included in workplace designs?"

Like # people like this
BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 13, 2018

I think diversity and inclusion can definitely be included in workspace! Even with simple things like art - having diversity of the artists represented in the workplace can be more welcoming. 

Like Karen O'Keefe likes this
Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2018

@BiancaE, great idea!! 

Karen O'Keefe February 6, 2019

At my last job, the workplace was completely open. Even executives worked in open spaces with the rest of us. We didn't have so much as a drawer or shelf, which made us think about keeping paper copies of anything.

I was horrified initially, because I am a writer/tester and I need to be able to think. However, our workplace was relatively quiet--and the collaboration was great. Privacy was non-existent. On the other hand, I knew who everyone was because I could see everybody.

Right now, I am in a cubicle, which makes me more comfortable. It's nice to have my own space--and it definitely offers me privacy and quiet. I have drawers and shelves--and a pace to hang a small whiteboard. That all helps my work, though my desk tends to be messier and I print stuff out more.

I can collaborate fairly easily, but I have to make some effort. I also don't know who a lot of people are--because I never see them.

Like Mary Ramirez likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events