Topic Tuesday: One Manager's Response...

Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2019

A first-time mom who was reaching the end of her maternity leave emailed her manager about some upcoming events upon her return. More specifically, she laid out a proposed pumping schedule. 

His response:

"Yes, whatever you need to do to be successful here, I am supportive. I think it would be helpful to block your calendar or the times that you will be unavailable as I (or others) may inadvertently schedule something over these times. And nothing here is so crucial that you should not take care of yourself so please let me know if there's anything else that we need to discuss."

Read the rest of the article here

• Do we have any parents in the community?
  • How could organizations support returning parents?
  • What is the most overwhelming feeling or thought for parents returning to work?
  • Comment below and share your thoughts!

2 comments

Comment

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2019

What a great share Mary! 

This sentence in particular caught my eye... "Fellow moms commented on Freehan's post. Many wished they had managers like Murphy, saying that they are either denied time to pump or are forced to pump in restrooms."

I have an old school friend who attempted pumping at the office and despite her work being a well known international Dutch company (in the Netherlands they're normally the leaders in all things liberal and open minded) she had no where to pump properly, no freedom in times to do it and ended up in the rather busy toilets in a cubicle.... pretty rubbish for a working mother who wants to excel at life! 

So this is a great story that I thoroughly enjoyed reading!! 🤗🤓

Like Mary Ramirez likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2019

Returning parents definitely need a clear schedule of how to get back into the rhythm and particular for mother's who are feeding, comfortable areas for pumping.

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 30, 2019
  • Do we have any parents in the community?

I am a parent. However during office hours I am an employee and team member like anyone else for 95+% of the time.

• How could organizations support returning parents?

Talk to the employee. Do not assume what they need or want i.e. pumping is not relevant to all mothers and fathers may need support too. Present options plural not options that could sound like sidelining i.e. offering part-time/flexible hours could be seen as career-limiting not supportive.

• What is the most overwhelming feeling or thought for parents returning to work?

Will I be taken seriously as a career-minded employee?

• Comment below and share your thoughts!

Employees have commitments outside of work. Consideration should be given for any outside interests like children, cultural/religious events, dependant family members, pets, sports, etc.

Like # people like this
Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2019

Hi @Kat Warner, I definitely asked myself that same question "will I be taken seriously as a career-minded employee?" For myself, I had to push through the thoughts I was having and assert myself in the workplace. I'm sure many moms have the same thought.

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 4, 2019

And just because our brains like to mess with us - I also have worried about being seen as a heartless or uncaring parent as there is a strong expectation that mothers are a child's primary caregiver even when they are working.

Those thoughts are long gone now because my kid is awesome. :P

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events