Topic-Tuesday: Learning about Others

Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2018

Hi everyone,

We often overlook the values and traditions our coworkers have. For one, it's hard to know about them if we don't know our coworkers practice them. Recently, my friend was a tad bit sad and I wasn't exactly sure why. Come to find out that she lost a loved one and "Dia de los Muertos" was among us. This explained a lot to me, especially why she was not going to work that day. 

I pose this question to the group, how can we connect with our coworkers in a deeper way? So whether it is Dia de los Muertos, Ramadan or Kwanzaa, everyone should be supported. What are your thoughts? 

1 comment

Comment

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2018

What an excellent topic Mary (once again, I might add!) ;)
This is a really tough one.... how personal may we be with colleagues? How much should we tell others of ourselves? 

I think one way is to be radically candid in communication, especially 1on1.

I feel strongly as well that it helps to know colleagues on a more personally level, which requires, time, effort and commitment. 

I lose probably 8hr a week to social "elbow rubbing" with the team members and clients in my projects but the end result is a connection that goes beyond just "we work for the same employer".

At my first job after graduation we had a buddy system - a random colleague who was always there to support. In the early days it was more about getting to know the company and the systems, processes, etc. but as time grew on it became a more deeper support.

A decade later we still meet up and wax lyrical about all aspects of life ! :oD

Like # people like this
Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2018

Hi @Andy - PTC Redundant,

Glad to have you back! I think a buddy system is a great idea. Especially if you become friends for life. Makes me think about how beneficial this would be to a newbie. I remember feeling uncomfortable asking my new boss my 100+ questions. But having a senior or native employee to partner with and bounce ideas from sounds more comforting.  

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2018

Thanks! It's good to be back. 

It really does help. Recently we wanted one of the n00bs to feel right at home in her new setting so I was asked to come up with a way to achieve this... here's how I did it: 

(Funnily enough... the most impressive part of the welcome pack is the INTERNET CABLE! Those are never normally present and available on day one in our company... hah hah! #Facepalm!)

IMG_1763.JPG

Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2018

This is sweet! Kudos to your company.

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events