Topic Tuesday: Drop a Book Name

Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2019

giphy.gif

Hi everyone!

I hope everyone had a great holiday season. With the new year, I find many people are picking up new books to read. As for myself, I just purchased "Becoming Michelle Obama" on audible and I'm loving it. Last year, I read "Lean In" by Sheryl Sandberg and I highly recommend it. I'd love to know what the rest of the community is reading. 

What are some of your favorite books?

What are you currently reading?

Any diversity and inclusion favorites? 

6 comments

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2019

My favourite books is a hard question, given the thousands I've gone through over the years.  But pTerry Pratchett is one of only a handful of authors where I've got a complete set.  The others include Conan Doyle, H.G. Wells, Iain (M) Banks, Charles Dickens, H.P. Lovecraft, Neil Gaiman, and Charlie Stross

But next on the pile is likely to be "Written on the Skin" - a book about forensic science.

For inclusion, my niece seemed to enjoy "fur is only fur deep".

Like Mary Ramirez likes this
Sloan N_ B_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2019

I think my favourite book is probably Homo Faber by Max Frisch. Not sure what that says about me. Most of my peers hate this book because they had to read it in school in German classes as lecture. 

Currently I am reading the Mortal Engines series by Philip Reeve. Currently at the third book Infernal Devices.

Amanda Kirk
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2019

The Power of Now and The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People were truly transformative. I highly suggest them to anyone who is looking for self-improvement. : ) 

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 9, 2019

ooo, following this for recommendations! One of my new years resolutions is to read more this year. I'm currently reading Elinor Oliphant is Completely Fine and I'm loving it. Up next is Homegoing and I'm very excited about it!

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2019

I know nothing of books for diversity & inclusion or by any diverse authors. Look forward to the recommendations.
I'm getting this one for my birthday from my missus.
Can't wait! The whole series is enthralling!

MASK.jpg

Karen O'Keefe February 6, 2019

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. I showed the video of his "last Lecture" to my students when it first came out. Professor Pausch is inspiring people even after his death. He was one of a kind. The video and the book were life-affirming and life-changing. Highly recommend.ed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Lecture. 

My other favorite book is Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. It's a mind-blowing examination of cultural myths (and a darned good story). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishmael_(novel).

For pure fun, read any of the Nevada Barr mysteries. They are murder mysteries that take place in various National Parks. Barr does the best job of using place as a character of any author I have read. Really remarkable.

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events