cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Topic Tuesday: Diversity training is a joke

Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2019

Catchy title there huh? :) 

But let's dig deeper, is diversity training a joke? Do companies get anything valuable out of it? Are we just checking off a box? Just to say we did it? Or are people really learning?

Well many years ago, I use to work for an organization that forced us to go to Equal opportunity/sexual assault prevention 101 courses every quarter. Leading up to it, everyone was dragging their feet. Complaining and loading up on red bull in an effort to stay awake. I mean...so was I. I remember thinking, this again >.< I already know how to act. 

Interestingly enough, I came across this HBR article stating that "study of 829 companies over 31 years showed that diversity training had “no positive effects in the average workplace.” Millions of dollars a year were spent on the training resulting in, well, nothing. Attitudes — and the diversity of the organizations — remained the same."

So I'd like to hear what other think. Is diversity training effective? Is there an alternative to keep company values and culture in line?

Reference: https://hbr.org/2012/03/diversity-training-doesnt-work

1 comment

Comment

Jeff Guth August 15, 2019

Interesting article, thank you for sharing.

I believe company culture is top-down.  If the leaders do not genuinely care about diversity and do not proactively dance to the same drum beat, then I agree that diversity training may not be effective.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events