Topic Tuesday: Burnout

Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2019

I came across this article by the Harvard Business Journal about helping your team with burnout when in fact you're burned out. I found it interesting because it can be tough to be a leader and be present for others when you yourself want to give up and crawl back into bed. 

So I ask the group, how can you be present for others when the entire team (including yourself) are going through a rough patch? 

In my opinion, chatting (not about work) over lunch always feels like a refresher and a stress reliever. 

2 comments

Comment

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2019

I love this question because you always want to bring your best self to work, but it can be difficult because we are all humans dealing with myriad issues. Our team has enacted a pulse check at the beginning of each week, where we each share a gif that represents how we're feeling (easy breezy, overwhelmed, motivated, tired, etc.) It creates a safe space to share that you may need some additional backup, or that you may just be having an off week.

If I had to pick one today, it would probably be this one:

giphy

Like # people like this
Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2019

I like the idea of sharing a gif! I will definitely be sharing this with my team. :) 

Like Erica Moss likes this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 27, 2019

That gif idea is super cute and clever.

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 27, 2019

It is hard to do - but tell your team you are feeling less than 100% but you are still there for them.

Encourage your team to find a way to express the stress of the situation AND get on with their day-to-day job. One place I worked was going through a restructure and we got "permission" to have extra meetings to talk about the impacts of the proposal within our teams separate form the meetings with managers. This was a significant step for the organisation that was usually very strict about the amount of time spent on billable tasks.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events