Paw Patrol vs Marketplace apps: On logo designs, diversity and emotional branding

pawpatrolcrew.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I was watching Paw Patrol together with my 2-year old, and seeing Rocky's shield on the screen, Exalate's logo flashed in my brain for a second.

Diapositiva4.PNG

Wow! I'm sure folks at iDalko have seen this. It's a powerful signal of how deep in our subconscious the Atlassian ecosystem runs.

The day after, I started a quick exercise in compared brand design.

There are 6 main puppy characters in Paw Patrol associated to 6 shields. If one of the shields clearly resembled an app logo in the Marketplace, would it be possible to find equivalents for the other 5? And would I find any relationship between the character's attributes and the app's functionalities?

Here are my results.

For Chase, it was a poor match to be honest. There aren't many star logos in the marketplace. The app is Custom Field Pack for Jira

Diapositiva2.PNG

Marshall's my kid's favorite puppy. His shield has a striking resemblance to Botron Software's Configuration Manager for Jira.

Diapositiva3.PNG

The sea theme and the color match here at least. So Zuma's equivalent is Adaptavist's Learn for Jira.

Diapositiva5.PNG

Rubble goes into construction sites all the time. I guess you could say that Stiltsoft's Inplace Editor for Confluence transforms published pages into collaboration sites too?

Diapositiva6.PNG

Skye was hard. In the end I was able to find The Pivot Gadget, another iDalko app. There are some purple and magenta logos in the marketplace, but there is no pink. Close to 0%.

Diapositiva7.PNG

I think that means a lot in terms of the emotions and meanings that are attached to logos and need to be considered when creating a brand.

For good or for bad, pink is a tabu in IT. It is the most gendered color. Avoided equally to represent anything not feminine and something feminine.

Pink also says a lot about the gender inequality in Paw Patrol. Of the 6 stable members, only Skye is a girl dog. Her gender stereotype is reinforced with the color pink and her rank position, which you can see in the image at the top of this article. And Ryder, the leader, is 10-year-old boy.

Have you made other brand associations?

But besides the point of gender representations, I'd like to know if anybody else has made similar connections with external brands and fictional characters-- perhaps also with the Atlassian products themselves.

10 comments

Comment

Manoosh Majdzadeh January 29, 2021

This is actually pretty cool, @Capi [resolution]! 🤩 

Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 29, 2021

It was a lot of fun! And I think I caught your designer red-handed @Manoosh Majdzadeh 🧐

Manoosh Majdzadeh January 29, 2021

@Capi [resolution] Haha, you so did! High paw🐾

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2021

@Capi [resolution] This is a really thoughtful and cool article! Your comparison between logos of Paw Patrol characters and Marketplace apps is amazing!

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 31, 2021

Some Paw Patrol toy and books are now including Everest - a husky.

PAW Patrol's Everest – PAW Patrol & Friends | Official Site

This show really stands out amongst the ones my pre-schooler watches for the lack of female characters. 

Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
February 1, 2021

@Kat Warneryou're right, there's a number of secondary characters and Everest is a famous one. She's also a female husky!

For the sake of completion, I did the app logo match and voilà! Turns out the equivalent is Yasoon's Outlook Email for Jira. Both have a polar palette and a pyramidal structure.

Captura de pantalla 2021-02-01 095306.png

Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2021

@Capi [resolution] I'm speechless! Now I can't unsee it, thank you for sharing! This is great!

Like Capi [resolution] likes this
Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
February 4, 2021

Thanks, @Mary Ramirez !! Glad you found it interesting. And no, unseeing should not be an option :)

Pedro Silva May 19, 2021

Thanks for sharing  

@Capi [resolution] 

Protea January 10, 2022

I always watched this cartoon with my younger brother, but I never saw this type of association. Of course, they look similar and promote the same idea. However, I think this was something well built in our subconsciousness. A logo is one of the essential parts of every company. When I started my first business, I've read almost every guide available on the internet, but this one got my attention https://www.namecheap.com/guru-guides/logo-redesign-guide/. After some consideration and research, I could design my own with some inspiration from other brands.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events