Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First there was ‘diversity.’ Then ‘inclusion.’ Now H.R. wants everyone to feel like they ‘belong.’

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2020

Just read this article, where the hot corporate buzzword in the diversity field is “belonging.”

Earlier this year, the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School hosted its first lecture panel focused on the topic. Harvard and Yale have also been getting in on the idea, hiring faculty or staff with “belonging” in their titles after launching related task forces or campus-wide initiatives.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/12/30/first-there-was-diversity-then-inclusion-now-hr-wants-everyone-feel-like-they-belong/

The article represents mixed reviews, what are your thoughts?

1 comment

Comment

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 5, 2020

The Atlassian mention caught my attention

After learning women were often the only female employee on their individual teams, Atlassian matched up women with female peers for coffee dates and created “mentoring rings” to help create a sense of belonging. It says it has cut female attrition in half and that 20 percent of technical roles are held by women.

I love the idea of matching people up with a peer/mentoring ring but I would be uncomfortable with being matched by gender. I want to talk to others in a similar role to me and/or someone in possible future roles.

I'd even be up for groups by non-work commitments like carers for children, carers for parents/older relatives/ pet owners, sports players, religious observance etc which may be possible in a large enough organisation.

Like Jodi LeBlanc likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2020

Thanks Kat, we do peer coaching circles in my organization and it's very effective. I like your comment of grouping by non-work commitments, it would be very interesting to try, but I agree it would need to be a large organization, or perhaps at a networking mixer as an ice-breaker of some sort.

Leah Bartell January 9, 2020

I think there's an assumption in the Atlassian quote about larger teams as well. Or at least teams with a higher percentage of women workers. When I worked in an engineering department that was around 20% female, but none of us on the same teams, we had a dedicated slack channel (remote teams) and was nice to have a way to connect. Now that I'm in a department that's 5% female, yeah, I would definitely not be okay being matched solely on gender. What a lonely "mentoring ring" that would be. 

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2020

Great points @Leah Bartell - and yes I agree that would be a very lonely mentoring ring.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events