Did You Know? Ramadan and Eid al-Fitr

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2020

Due to the current circumstances with COVID-19, celebrations may look different this year as people adapt their traditional food and gatherings so they can observe these important holidays while physical distancing.

To help increase awareness of religious diversity, the Wellness and Inclusion Team at my department is doing a "Did you know?" series. This series features information on various religious and secular celebrations throughout the year.

Ramadan (April 24 to May 23, 2020)
Eid al-Fitr (May 24, 2020)

Did you know?

Some of our colleagues will be celebrating Ramadan and Eid al-Fitr.

• Ramadan (from the Arabic root ramiḍa or ar-ramaḍ, meaning scorching heat or dryness) is the holiest month of the Islamic calendar. It commemorates Allah's first revelation of the Quran, the Islamic holy book, to Muhammad. During this month, Muslims the world over unite as a community for a period of fasting, devotion and spiritual reflection.
  • The annual fast of Ramadan is considered one of the five pillars of Islamic faith. Everyone who is able to fast is required to abstain from food and drink from dawn until sunset each day. In the evenings during Ramadan, family and communities spend time together around meals, offering special prayers, engaging in spiritual reflection and reading the Quran.
  • Following Ramadan is Eid al-Fitr, the festival of breaking of the fast. Eid al-Fitr falls on the first day of Shawwal (the 10th month of the Islamic lunar calendar) and marks the end Ramadan and the forgiveness of sins.
  • Muslims celebrate Eid al-Fitr with family, friends and communities. Together they give to those in need and attend religious services. Traditions include giving gifts and eating sweet foods such as date-filled pastries and butter cookies with almonds or pine nuts.

To all those who celebrate, we wish you Ramadan Kareem (a generous month of Ramadan) and Eid Mubarak (a blessed and joyous Eid al-Fitr)!

2 comments

Comment

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2020

Thank you @Jodi LeBlanc for taking time to share with the community some details about Ramadan.

As a Muslim myself who does observe Ramadan, you got it right.

We do fast between 15 to 17 hours. We are not allowed to drink anything even water or eat any food.

We learn patience and feel the hunger some needy people have to go through every day.

Sick people, pregnant women, nursing moms, women who have their period, and someone who will be travelling especially between countries are allowed to eat.

Again thank you for the post!

Ramadan Moubarake to everyone who will be observing it ☺️

Best,

Fadoua

Anas
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 29, 2023

Great post you explained briefly about ramadan as a muslim i must add we mostly recite surah yaseen for spiritual benefits. Thanks Jodi for your kind information.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events