Coming Out Day

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2019

I came across this on Twitter, and wondered if it is a special date in Canada or do other countries also celebrate this day (October 11):

DpOmaJXVAAYF1d7.jpgEGDx2hPWwAAV2Jg.jpg

2 comments

Comment

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 18, 2019

Looks like this year was the 31st Coming Out Day in the US (link).

There are some NZ references but most of them are dated 2014 and later articles seem slightly critical of the idea of a Coming Out Day.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2019

That's great Kat, I am glad to hear that this may be a global day and not just a national one! 

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 19, 2019

We definitely celebrate it here! And I think it's important that the day not only recognizes those who are able to be their authentic selves, but also those who still face extreme adversity: "Today is not about pressuring people to come out. It's about sharing stories, resources, and showing people they're not alone." — Raymond Braun

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 19, 2019

So happy to hear that Erica! Wow what a touching quote, thank you for sharing - such an important message for us all.

Like Erica Moss likes this
Dara November 20, 2019

Beautiful quote indeed!! Very important that be the sentiment. I've seen stuff about people pressuring others to come out on Coming Out Day.. But it really is about recognising adversity to people's authentic selves, and not about people needing to always face that adversity.

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2019

Thanks Dara, I completely agree.

Jodi

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events