cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Lives Matter 2020

Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2020

We are in difficult times right now. The murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Tony McDade at the hands of police, the murder of Ahmaud Arbery and the racial attacks against Christian Cooper and Omar Jimenez are simultaneously a tipping point and a continuation of the state violence that the Black community has endured for centuries.

This may be a difficult conversation for many to have. Some don't know how to have it or what to do in order to support those affected. Below are a list of resources to help you during these times.

The following organizations doing transformative justice work and supporting communities affected by police violence:
 Educate yourself with the following resources:

Leverage your influence and be an ally by:

• Starting a conversation 
  • Sharing your empathy 
  • Taking action
  • Check in on others
  • Identify and empathize with co workers who may be mentally drained
  • Start an Employee Resource Group or #allies slack channel at work

Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas in the comments. We ask that you're respectful and mindful of your words and how they may affect others. 

Reference and credit goes to the Techqueria for sharing this.

7 comments

Comment

Dave_Liao May 31, 2020

Thank you for posting this @Mary Ramirez ! 🙏

I'm starting to see BLM appear more on LinkedIn - of my social networks, LinkedIn is/was mostly immune to the politics around us - which is a good thing. We are intertwined with society's circumstances, and greater awareness needs to happen.

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2020

@Mary Ramirez Thank you for sharing these important resources, Mary! I've been doing a lot of listening and donating this weekend. A few things that stuck with me:

Like # people like this
Celina Zamora June 1, 2020

Thank you for this @Mary Ramirez

Like # people like this
Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2020

I listened to A Decade Of Watching Black People Die this morning and it was very insightful. 

Like # people like this
Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
June 1, 2020

Thank you for sharing these important resources @Mary Ramirez I appreciate you.

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 1, 2020

I was disgusted by a post I saw on LinkedIn by an NZ politician. They used a photo from a BLM event held locally as a prop to criticise the level of restrictions in place relating to COVID.

The argument was along the lines of:

1) we should remove the restrictions on large gatherings and contact tracing ASAP

2) if there is a justified reason for gatherings to be limited to 100 people - why weren't the Police breaking up the peaceful protest of a much larger group in a public area?

So very tone deaf and sad.

Like Mary Ramirez likes this
Darline Auguste
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
June 2, 2020

Thank you for your words and sharing these resources @Mary Ramirez :heart:

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events