Why are we still debating about LGBTQ+ rights?

Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2020

This is an uncomfortable conversation. (Trigger warning)

I wonder, why are we still talking about basic human rights? Why are people of color or people who identify as LGBTQ+ not allowed to have the same human rights others have?

I always come back to the thought, we all bleed red. We are all humans with feelings and goals. All seeking to be happy and loved. 

Friday was disappointing for me. I read that the healthcare protections for LGBTQ+ people were being taken away in the US. Read more here. After looking into this some more, I found out that the state of Arizona, where I reside, doesn't have any laws or policies protecting LGBTQ+ people from being unfairly discriminated against.

This also happen on the same day as the anniversary of the Orlando pulse shooting. All so weird and somehow inner connected. 

What...is...happening? I don't think it's fair to ask someone to hide who they are in order to get fair medical attention. So what will happen? Honestly, how will these humans get the care they deserve? 

Monday has taken a turn. The US Supreme Court ruled in a 6-3 decision that a key provision of the 1964 Civil Rights Act protects LGBTQ employees from workplace discrimination. While this is great, it brings me back to the same thought, why are we voting on basic human rights? As a leader, I always think about the people around me. How these external decisions are affecting them. Affecting their thoughts, actions, work life, or even their home life. Something so basic, shouldn't be a worry on their hearts. They deserve to be treated equally. We all do.

So I say that, to say, it's a scary time for people who are "different." I say that lightly. Somehow our human rights are up for debate. So we must continue to fight. Fight for what is right. Protect each other and hold others accountable. 

I recommend visiting the Trevor Project website which is the world's largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention for LGBTQ+ youth. The organization is also seeking volunteers, I challenge you to get involved. 

Salesforce had a fireside chat this morning and they touched on a lot of good topics around the Black Lives Movement and the current state of LGBTQ+ rights.

Happy Pride Month to everyone and happy early Juneteenth!

5 comments

Comment

Darlene Ashleigh Jeter June 16, 2020

Thank you for this awesome compassionate post!!

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2020

@Mary Ramirez So well stated, Mary! This tweet really spoke to me when my brain was like "wow, we're really still having a debate over treating everyone equally."

And to your point, we have to continue to do the hard work, and part of that is supporting amazing orgs like The Trevor Project. Thank you for always bringing these important conversations to the Community!

Like # people like this
Celina Zamora June 16, 2020

"Something so basic, shouldn't be a worry on their hearts. They deserve to be treated equally. We all do." ---Yes, a million times. This truly is what it's about. Thank you for sharing this @Mary Ramirez 

Like # people like this
Svenja Lorenzen
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 2, 2021

I'm asking myself the same question so very often... 😥

I really wish that we would move towards equality in every country. 🏳️‍🌈

Valentin Binotto October 7, 2023

Exactly as you wrote in your great post: At the end of the day, we are all human and from that perspective it is absurd that things like discrimination or inequality even exist.

But I believe that this knowledge, that we are all human and also not really relevant in the universe, is the first and most important step towards a more inclusive future where we all respect each other.

That's why posts like yours are important and a sign that some people are aware of inequality, discrimination and so on.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events