#WeJustNeedToPee initiative

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2019

I am teaching in Vancouver this week and saw this poster in the washroom at the University. This poster was developed by the LGBTQ+ students at Simon Fraser University.

It made me think of a time where my trans colleague shared his story that while transitioning he always sought out wheel chair accessible bathrooms at work as gendered was not specified. However quite often these washrooms were in use, so he explained some days he would just have to hold it for the whole day :(

I really like this poster and I am going to share with my workplace and UPEI.

IMG_7208.JPG

5 comments

Comment

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2019

Thanks @Jodi LeBlanc for sharing -a good and important impulse to think and to remember the situation! It's so easy to forget but also easy to support if we all help together, even if it's just keeping it in mind.  

Like Erica Moss likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2019

Thanks @Fabienne Gerhard , I completely agree!

Dara October 23, 2019

Made me think of this awesome video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APeAXKmkVcI

I personally still don't understand why people would ever have an issue with this (there's stalls, it's not as if people are walking around naked, what's the problem?), but I figure probably people just don't really stop to fully think about it? In any case, helping people become more aware of the full human experience behind these issues is really important. Great initiative!

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2019

Wow love that video Dara, thanks for sharing! Yes I agree, however I have Trans colleagues that have had complaints brought forward of them being in the "wrong" washroom, which is hurtful and disappointing. We don't have gender bathrooms at home, why does it have to be separate in the workplace etc.

Like Dara likes this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 24, 2019

@Jodi LeBlanc Such an important post, Jodi, thank you for sharing!

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2019

Thanks @Erica Moss I am bringing the poster back to the East Coast to see if I can build on the Simon Fraser University posters, while giving them credit of course :)

Like Erica Moss likes this
Celina Zamora October 24, 2019

This is INCREDIBLY important, and thank you for sharing this @Jodi LeBlanc and it's amazing how much of an impact actions like this make to help improve the quality of life for the trans community. Inclusivity, acceptance, and compassion are essential in creating a space of belonging. Thank you again for sharing this! 

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2019

Thanks so much @Celina Zamora I agree completely. Ultimately everyone just wants to be accepted for who they are without judgement. It shouldn't be difficult, but because of bias and upbringing we must work hard to break down those barriers of acceptance.

Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 24, 2019

A necessary reminder. Thanks for sharing @Jodi LeBlanc

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2019

Thanks @Cassie Mayes !

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events