Waitangi Day - 6 February

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 4, 2020

Waitangi Day is a public holiday in New Zealand to mark the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi (Treaty) in 1840.

The Treaty was signed by representatives of the British Crown and over 500 Māori chiefs and is often considered to be New Zealand’s founding document.

For many this is treated as just a paid-day off work (or increased pay if you have to work). If 6 February falls on the weekend the public holiday is "Mondayised" meaning the following Monday is the public holiday.

For others it is a time to reflect on the controversy surrounding the Treaty - from the signing process, the different understandings of what the agreement meant i.e. the English text vs the Maori text, to how the Treaty is applied today.  

Fun fact: The name has alternated between Waitangi Day and New Zealand Day a couple of times

1 comment

Comment

Alison
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2020

Thanks for sharing @Kat Warner , I did not know about Waitangi Day. 

What are some ways that New Zealanders celebrate/commemorate?

Like BiancaE likes this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 6, 2020

I am in the "paid day off work" camp so there are no particular traditions for me.

It is not a patriotic celebrate-with-friends-and-family BBQ day like Australia Day or USA's Fourth of July, which is a shame. Hopefully this will change over time.

Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2020

There should be a Taika Waititi day, IMHO ;)

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
February 6, 2020

We are not limited to just Taika. NZ is the home for a lot of great directors (Jane Campion, Lee Tamahori, Peter Jackson to name a few).

Like Shawn Kessler likes this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 6, 2020

I actually like Taika as an actor...

taika.png

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events